Role Overview 🚀
At Uncapped, we help ambitious founders realise their dreams. The Head of Credit Risk at Uncapped will be responsible for designing and developing our maturing credit and risk strategy. In doing so, you will help fund thousands of growing SMEs that are the lifeblood of the global economy and the top measurement of Uncapped’s future success.
Our loan book is growing exponentially. As the voice of credit and fraud risk, you’ll be instrumental in improving the way we operate so that the company can maintain this trajectory. You’ll have the opportunity to work closely with teams throughout the company to understand, identify, and implement the best ways to improve and automate our underwriting, monitoring, and collections processes.
As the first dedicated Risk hire, you will have the space and resources to shape the role and function, and hire and develop your team. You will report directly to the CEO and contribute as an influential member of the leadership team.
About Uncapped 👫
Here at Uncapped, we believe founders shouldn’t have to give away ownership of their company to fund growth. That’s why we’ve provided interest and equity-free investments from £10k to £2 million to founders and companies who are changing the world. We charge a flat fee of 6% on the capital provided and get repaid through a revenue share. There are no pitches, cap tables or coffees required. So founders can apply online, receive an offer and start growing their business!
We're a fully remote team hailing from the likes of Monzo, Revolut, Funding Circle and Google. We’ve raised $40m from Europe’s top investors including Seedcamp, Global Founders Capital, and Mouro Capital (Santander Bank). Our collective focus is on building compelling products and expanding internationally so that more companies have access to the growth capital they need to thrive.
What you will do ✍️
- Lead the monitoring, measuring and reporting on the status of the portfolio along key credit metrics
- Further develop and upgrade our credit risk assessment of potential clients, both at the initial stage of the credit risk decision and also ongoing during the lifecycle of each loan
- Lead our credit risk committees and further develop sound rules and procedures around credit risk decisions
- Balance human decision making with our drive towards automation to ensure that we are ready and able to scale rapidly
- Manage and develop our collection and forbearance processes
- Support the team with debt fundraising and liaise with debt funds and investors as needed
- Develop and maintain the fraud and credit risk strategy, policy, and review process for existing and future products
- Proactively analyse market information and trends to identify upcoming risks and recommend changes to our processes
- Champion the importance of risk throughout the business by collaborating closely with Sales, Operations and Product teams to ensure our risk appetite is maintained at all touch points
- Hire and develop your own team of underwriters and risk specialists
Who you are 👀
A background in SME lending, challenger banks, and other disruptive fintechs will be a natural advantage in this role. A person who has practical experience in developing risk scorecards and automating underwriting processes will also have a head-start in continuing our ability to help founders and entrepreneurs globally.
We’re looking for someone with:
- Keen interest in startups and online businesses such as ecommerce and SaaS
- Masters degree in quantitative/finance related field required
- 7+ years of experience in a risk management role in financial services
- Prior small business lending experience is a significant plus
- Open-mindedness to novel models of credit scoring -- less reliant on historic financial statements, but rather credit scoring on the back of real time performance metrics and use of tools such as machine learning
- Critical and first-principles thinking with a willingness to challenge the status-quo and suggest new approaches to solving problems
- Proven experience as an inspirational leader of teams, and the appetite to either support or challenge other leaders in the business as the situation dictates
- Extraordinary ability to understand and collaborate with others in resolving issues and finding solutions
What we offer 🎁
At Uncapped, we know that it’s our people who make us successful. We are a startup with big goals and we work hard, so we want to give everyone the benefits they really want. We’re continually adding to this list as new people join -- here are some of the things you can expect:
- Competitive compensation plan + Company pension
- Personal growth fund: Raise your game from great to spectacular
- Flexible working: Remote-first processes for ultimate flexibility
- Generous holidays: 30 days to see the world (send us a postcard)
- Your birthday off: Enjoy your special day on us
- Annual retreat abroad: Connect with your team on a paid staff trip
- Weekly recognition and awards: Celebrate wins big and small
- Workspace fit for you: €300 to improve your home office
- Opportunity to make a big impact every day on the lives of European entrepreneurs.