San Francisco or Remote
$115,000 - $132,000
WHO WE ARE
The Partnership on AI (PAI) is the leading forum addressing the most important and difficult decisions on the future of AI.
We are a non-profit that invites diverse voices into the process of technical governance, design, and deployment of AI technologies.
Our essential Partners work together across industry, academia, and civil society to understand the implications of AI advancements and ensure they benefit society equitably.
Through dialogue, insight, education, and guidance, PAI informs responsible AI solutions and identifies opportunities to address humanity's pressing challenges.
Our vision is a future where Artificial Intelligence empowers humanity by contributing to a more just, equitable, and prosperous world. Our mission is to bring diverse voices together across global sectors, disciplines, and demographics so developments in AI advance positive outcomes for people and society.
If you are committed to a future of responsible AI and you are interested in joining the Partnership on AI in our quest, we genuinely appreciate your interest and we want to hear from you.
Partnership on AI is seeking a talented Graphic Designer with sharp graphic design, illustration, art direction, and animation skills to help us both sustain and increase the awareness of our work and elevate our public profile to various audiences through powerful visual storytelling. This role is critical in maintaining our brand across our website (a redesign to be launched in May) and all other platforms, as well as with materials created in-house and to contribute to making our work more accessible and engaging in pursuit of our vision.
Reporting to the Director of Content & Communications and working closely with colleagues in multiple departments, you will lead the creative process across a wide variety of work from concept, pitch, design, production, edit, finalizing and placement. You will produce a flow of visual assets that are unique, shareable, and stand out as compelling components that both explain and support our various projects, initiatives and campaigns for the organization. This is a new role within the Content & Communications team and a successful candidate will build on our brand guidelines and create a visual identity that is instantly recognizable as PAI.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Maintain the overall brand design for consistency and reputational awareness
- Propose and execute key individual graphics as well as the overall look and feel for campaigns around our work - to our Partners and other key stakeholders.
- Design for the following:
- Conceive and implement overall design and layout for PDFs for white papers, position papers and all other downloadable and sharable resources for various audiences, including creating elements (including graphics, charts and infographics)
- Social media assets
- Partner and fundraising collateral
- The PAI Annual report
- PAI blog and Medium article header illustrations
- Additional website illustrations and elements including hero images and updates as needed
- Invitation and newsletter templates, series design, and one-off designs as needed
- Create platform-specific materials for social media, website, email and other platforms.
- Website page development in Wordpress
- Act as Art Director for selecting photos and manipulating as needed for various uses
- Animate elements for social media, short videos and other applications
- Prepare decks and slides across the organization
- Track a number of ongoing and concurrent projects and prioritize to align with org-wide and Content & Communications strategies
- Follow and update brand guidelines as needed and Assist in evolving and maintaining the visual identity across editorial and social content
- Maintain a library of internal and sourced creative assets files, including logos, photos, charts/graphs, icons, templates and other files, to ensure that they are current, easy to find, and usable by staff across the organization.
- Help update the internal Editorial calendar with relevant work and keep colleagues apprised of workflow and timelines
- Ownership and execution of projects such as development and maintenance of our social templates and design guidelines
- Strong project management skills and ability to prioritize projects and work against hard deadlines
- Communicate brand guidelines and oversee work of external vendors as requested
- 5-7 years of relevant experience, ideally as an in-house designer
- Experience using Adobe Creative Cloud software such as Adobe XD, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Sketch is required.
- Experience with designing templates in Campaign Monitor
- Strong photo research skills
- Familiarity with Google Workspace (including designing Google Slides), Slack, Asana, and Wordpress
- Understand the trends in graphic and digital design
- HTML experience
- Ability to work independently under tight timelines
- Familiarity with developing interactive graphics a plus
- Video and audio editing and production experience a plus
- Photography and data visualization experience a plus
WHO YOU ARE / WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a diverse team with shifting priorities.
- Adept at visualizing complex scientific concepts for various audiences
- Strong attention to detail and good follow-through on projects and communication.
- Desire to work in a mission-driven, non-profit organization
- Strong understanding of value and potential of visual storytelling techniques
- A growth mindset of learning new techniques and increasing your skill set
- Eagerness to build strategic visual solutions and pitch new ideas and design formats
QUALITIES THAT ARE IMPORTANT TO US:
- Builds Trust: Able to be transparent by being authentic, conveying trust and communicating openly while involving key stakeholders in decision-making.
- Visionary: Able to take a long-term perspective, conveying a belief in an outcome, and displaying the confidence to reach goals
- Inspirational: Able to inspire and motivate others in a positive manner
- Courageous: Able to seek out opportunities for continuous improvement, and fearless in intervening in challenging situations
- Decisive: Able to make informed decisions in a timely fashion
- Personal Development: Able to seek opportunities for individual personal development
We know that research has shown that some potential applicants will submit an application only when they feel that they have met close to all of the qualifications for a role—we encourage you to take a leap of faith with us and submit your application as long as you are passionate about working to make real impact on responsible AI. We are very interested in hearing from a diverse pool of candidates.
PAI offers a generous paid leave and benefits package, including: Twenty vacation days; three personal reflection days; sick leave and family leave above industry standards; high-quality PPO and HMO health insurance plans, many 100% covered by PAI; Dental and vision insurance 100% covered by PAI; up to a 7% 401K match, vested immediately; pre-tax commuter benefits (Clipper); automatic cell phone reimbursement ($75/month); up to $1,000 in professional development funds annually; regular team lunches & mental health days; opportunities to attend AI related conferences and events and to collaborate with our Partners across industry, academia and civil society. Please refer to our careers page for an updated list of benefits.
PAI is headquartered in San Francisco, with a global membership base and scope. This role is eligible for remote work within the United States with no requirement to be located in San Francisco. We do not offer visa support for this position at this time.
PAI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment in all aspects of employment, including recruiting, hiring, promoting, training, education assistance, social and recreational programs, compensation, benefits, transfers, discipline, and all privileges and conditions of employment. Employment decisions at PAI are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications.
PAI will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or similar laws.
The Partnership on AI may become subject to certain governmental record keeping and reporting requirements for the administration of civil rights laws and regulations. We also track diversity in our workforce for the purpose of improving over time. In order to comply with these goals, the Partnership on AI invites employees to voluntarily self-identify their gender and race/ethnicity. Submission of this information is voluntary and refusal to provide it will not jeopardize or adversely affect employment or any consideration you may receive for employment or advancement. The information obtained will be kept confidential.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply please send a cover letter, resume, and portfolio by April 30, 2021
Only complete applications will be reviewed.