You have that optimism that you can have a career that changes the world. You want to work with people, make a difference in their lives, and get the breadth of experience you can build a meaningful career on.
You'll find what you're looking for here.
We're MakerKids. We started the first makerspace for kids in the world, and now run award-winning virtual programs, camps and parties on coding, robotics and Minecraft. Our programs help kids develop confidence, social skills, resilience and a positive relationship with technology. We ignite kids' potential and inspire them to be inventors, entrepreneurs, and innovators. Kids have started businesses, won prizes from NASA, and had positive mental health outcomes.
We've been featured in major media such as Wired, CTV and the Globe and Mail, and have spoken at SXSW, Maker Faire, MakerCon, and more. Right now, we're looking for a Designer, and we hope that's you.
We're growing quickly, and we're looking for leaders to grow with us and ultimately drive our mission forward. We hope that you are our Product Designer.
We are looking for an ambitious Product Designer passionate about creating elegant designs and enabling seamless experiences that get users to "wow" .
As our first Product designer, you'll be a key pillar in our team. You'll work with our CEO, software developer, and curriculum developer, and the whole team in order to gain a deep understanding of our users, craft effective designs and features to solve their problems, and bring our evolving website and product to life.
Families have been starved of quality STEM education that helps kids build soft skills and become creators, not just consumers. This role is an opportunity to bring a beautiful & intuitive tool to people who desperately need it, and raise the bar of what is possible.
With a strong culture of ownership and responsibility, we believe that our job is not done until the job is done. We take pride in delivering the highest quality, intuitive products that make discovering and actioning opportunities in the public sector effortless and fun for our users.
What you'll do
- Develop professional, beautiful, and more than anything, amazingly functional and intuitive designs for the website and the core features our customers use every day
- Design the UX/UI for our new web application (a registration software) and our new website, and ensuring future updates and features are accessible, beautiful, and functional. You will be both building the business brand and the components of the platform through immersive design.
- Run the customer development process with other team members. Organising, running, & analysing user feedback and discovery calls
- Take hypotheses, user stories, & customer insights and translating them into high (or low) fidelity prototypes, iterating on these ideas with customers & the product team to arrive at your final designs
- Define, maintain, and iterate on our design system
- Research, collect, and digest best-in-breed design practices, and implement them here.
This is a varied position, and if you have experience as a Product Designer, that variety will feel familiar. You'll have our full support to make changes that will make a lasting difference on our business.
You're the right fit for this role because you have a customer-centric mindset, and are always looking for ways to improve marketing, or tackle high-leverage challenges to make things work better.
Working with us:
This is currently a part-time position - with the potential for long-term and full-time if things go well.
With us, you'll enjoy:
- Opportunities for growth and advancement
- Fun social events with the team like karaoke, escape rooms, improv classes, and other activities
If you have these, you'll be a great fit:
- 2+ years of experience as a UI/UX designer, web designer or product designer (with B2C products is a plus)
- Deep familiarity with tools such as Figma / Invision / Sketch / Framer / Balsamiq to create prototypes, customer flows, and hi-fi mock-ups
- Experience designing and running key customer discovery tasks (eg. customer discovery interviews, concept and usability testing, etc.) and distilling the output into concrete insights and designs
- Effective communicator: Able to share novel or complicated concepts with the team in a digestible way, and able to “translate” messy customer signals into their relevant business implications.
- Focus on impact: Obsessively focused on how our product can solve our customers' problems. We do functional, not flashy.
- Attention to detail: Designs critiqued until pixel perfect. Every step of the customer journey accounted for. Nothing gets past you.
- Ambitious curiosity: Eager to learn skills and technologies outside of your comfort zone, take on tasks that scare you, and grow into a senior leadership role with us
- Dependability & accountability: Trusted to deliver on the commitments you make to the team, from the big picture results to the nuanced details
Anything on this list would be an asset:
- Experience building and maintaining design systems
- Copywriting experience
- Experience building websites and ads that consumers love
If this opportunity sounds like the meaningful, career-building challenge you've been looking for, we can't wait to meet you!