Farad.ai is on a mission to enable the current energy infrastructure to run on 100% low-carbon energy and fight climate change at scale. We achieve this by developing the Bloomberg of the future energy system, an AI-powered digital twin for the power system integrating low carbon energy technology quicker and more effectively. We are backed by Entrepreneur First (a leading talent investor backed by founders of DeepMind and LinkedIn), Climate-KIC (Europe's largest climate initiative funded by EU), UK Government (UKRI), and some leading angel investors. We are ambitious, mission and value-driven who are collaborating and continuously innovating.
Farad.ai is looking for a power systems engineer to join our fast-growing team. You’ll have a passion for power system modeling and computational modeling. You’ll be reporting to the lead power system engineer who is responsible for implementing computational models of the UK electrical grid. You will be collaborating with our multidisciplinary team to build a state of art analytics platform which delivers insight to our customers. You are joining our team at an early stage and will have the autonomy to shape our products and services in order to fight climate change at scale.
What you will be doing
- Creating innovative products that fulfill our customers’ needs
- Conceptualise, construct, and analyse computational models of the UK grid, in order to address real-world problems facing the electrical industry
- Convert your analysis into robust products with software engineering skills
- Coach and help others as we grow the team
What we look for
- Electrical engineering degree with a focus on power systems
- Experience with renewable energy system integration with the power grid, e.g. wind and solar
- Experience with distribution power flow and distribution state estimation
- Experience with mathematical optimization (LP, IP, NLP, etc.)
- Excellent programming experience in Python
- Ability to work within a start-up environment
- Ability to prioritise your workload, and align to wider team targets
- You enjoy working in a fast-paced and evolving environment
- You are an excellent communicator, flexible, and a team player
- A leader by nature, an innovator, and enjoy tackling difficult problems
- Passionate about using technology to fight climate change on a global scale
Extra points for
- Degree in electrical engineering with a focus on power systems, or equivalent industrial experience
- Evidence as a thought leader/innovator e.g. strong academic publication record
- An understanding of the UK electricity industry, at the generation, transmission and distribution levels
- Experience with voltage and var optimization, power quality analysis (harmonic analysis, voltage analysis, transients), and control of power electronic converters such as inverters
- Experience with OpenDSS, and optimization software packages such as GAMS or AMPL
- Strength in statistics and machine learning
- Experience with Python data science libraries, e.g. numpy, pandas, scikit-learn, matplotlib
- Great at building and maintaining relationships
At Farad.ai, we believe diverse teams perform better, and we are interested in getting as many different points of view as possible - we support and celebrate diversity in our workforce. We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.
- Pension Plans
- Work From Home
- Training & Development
We are building a strong collaborative culture - you get to shape this alongside us as an early employee!