Hungryroot is your personal grocer, powered by AI and the belief that food deeply impacts your daily life. You tell us a little about yourself, and we deliver healthy groceries to your door each week with recipes and meal planning support. Hungryroot helps you save time, save money, shop sustainably, and eat what makes you feel your best.
About the opportunity
We're hiring a Data Scientist, Personalization to advance the ways that Hungryroot delivers personalized groceries and recipes to customers every week.
Today Hungryroot sends hundreds of thousands of groceries each week to customers across the country, each with their own flavor preferences, dietary restrictions, and food occasion needs. Our algorithm takes in all of these signals and balances them against our inventory of delicious, perishable food products and customers' love for variety in what they eat. The algorithm is at the center of what enables us to be our customers' personal grocery shopper and has driven the 7x growth we've had in the past year.
We learn about each customer's taste via explicit signals like their preference for how often they receive an individual item and their star ratings of recipes, as well as implicit signals like their retention and weekly spend. There are big opportunities for advancing the algorithm, including identifying other predictive implicit signals via regressions, collecting new explicit signals from customers, leveraging collaborative filtering, and more. We then leverage that data in a combination of integer programming, logistic regression models, and factorization machine models.
This role will primarily be focused on developing predictive models to enable our broader algorithm to choose groceries and recipes that each customer is likely to love. You'll collaborate with Engineering to productionalize your models--or productionalize them yourself, depending on your experience and interest. And you'll work with Product and Analysts to design A/B tests of the models in production, to arrive at the optimal application of your models.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Bring an understanding of best practices in recommendation systems, to both the backend and user-facing frontend
- Develop predictive models that can be leveraged in the algorithm to predict what customers will love
- Collaborate with Engineering to productionalize your models and monitor their performance
- Collaborate with Product & Engineering to define, deploy, and report on AB experiments that drive customer retention via personalization
- Partner with Product and Design to come up with and launch customer-centric ways of collecting new actionable signals
- Report on the performance of your work
- 2+ years in data science, product management, research, or related role
- Data science toolkit including regressions, predictive modeling, R/Python
- Ability to explain complex concepts clearly
- Product & Strategy sensibilities and ability to articulate how your work rolls up to the larger strategy
- Highly detail-oriented and organized
- A love of learning and the ability to keep up with a frequently changing environment
Bonus points for:
- Integer programming experience
- Startup experience
- D2C and/or subscription business experience
- A passion for food
- Based in our Manhattan office just south of Madison Square Park (Note: we are currently working remotely and will support remote working indefinitely)
- Reports to our VP Product
- Competitive compensation + subsidized health benefits
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Monthly Hungryroot credit
- Universal paid parental leave
- A working environment filled with passionate, happy, smart people
Hungryroot is built on the values of being proactive, positive, and transparent in all that we do. Our mission to help make healthy eating easy, accessible, and joyful is better served by a diverse workplace.
We are a proud Equal Opportunity employer committed to building an inclusive workplace. We have zero tolerance for harassment or discrimination. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.