Northwest Community Credit Union believes in providing our employees an environment where they can flourish personally and professionally. We are proud that we have never lost sight of our founders' commitment to providing each individual, and our community, with uncommon care. Join a team with a rich heritage of serving our region for more than 70 years!
Northwest Community Credit Union serves members from offices in 14 locations across Oregon.
Consumer Loan Underwriter - Part-Time 20 hours per week (Tues - Sat or Sun - Thurs)
Wage: $23.68 to $27.53 (dependent upon knowledge, skills, and abilities)
REMOTE WORK OPEN
Position Primary Purpose
Maintains awareness of current trends in consumer credit financing. Rejects or approves loans and terms within the officer's own limits and in accordance with established policies of the Credit Union. Actively works to mitigate risk by employing a thorough, logical thought process to decision making. Promotes the use of Credit Union services and products actively by recommending strategies to obtain the best results based on each individual member's needs, desires, and resources.
• Receives and processes more complex credit applications from all consumer lending channels.
• Performs lending functions in conformance with established Credit Union policies and procedures. Reviews loans to ensure accuracy.
• Authorizes the approval of loans within the guidelines established by the Consumer Lending Manager. Makes the decision to grant, decline, or counter offer a credit request and communicates that decision to the appropriate consumer lending channel.
• Listens to problems, collects data, secures answers, follows up on details, and resolves matters to the satisfaction of branch staff or retail establishment. Discusses sensitive personal financial circumstances in a frank and tactful manner.
• Maintains a high level of knowledge on all types of loans offered and the features and benefits of all loan related Credit Union services and products.
• Remains abreast of regulatory policies and any associated changes that affect consumer lending.
• Conducts employee training by acting as a mentor to less experienced team members of the department. Reports trainee progress to the Consumer Lending Manager as needed.
• Supports others with complex financial analysis to determine the stability of potential self-employed borrowers.
• Reviews existing policies and procedures and makes suggestions for improvement as needed to the Consumer Lending Manager.
• Participates in the administration of essential departmental functions such as maintaining dealer files and preparing monthly reports.
• Acts as a liaison between the Credit Union and retail establishments to ensure a mutually beneficial relationship.
• Successful completion of all training pertaining to underwriting rules, regulations, and procedures.
• All other duties as assigned.
A minimum of four (4) years of service in a financial institution, with two (2) years of progressive underwriting experience. Advanced working knowledge and understanding of Credit Union loan policies, procedures and credit granting practices is essential.
High school diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor's degree in business, finance, or economics preferred, or related experience.
• Attention to detail, accuracy and thoroughness, while managing multiple priorities.
• Sets a positive example for others by modeling superior service skills during interactions with all parties.
• Well-developed analytical skills to evaluate credit, income documentation, collateral quality and make sound loan decisions. Able to recommend alternatives when appropriate.
• Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills to interview members and communicate with branch staff and retail establishments in a tactful and professional manner. Ability to interpret and explain policies and transactions.
• Ability to work independently and function effectively as a member of a team.
• Ability to provide leadership for less experienced underwriters by modeling superior analytical and service skills.
• Able to evaluate efficacy of existing policies and procedures in order to recommend change when necessary.