Headquartered in Helsinki with offices in Berlin, Sydney and Toronto, Aiven provides managed open-source data technologies, such as PostgreSQL, Kafka and M3, on all major clouds. We have raised $150M in VC funding to date and are backed by world-class investors including Atomico, IVP and Earlybird Venture Capital, among others. We plan to invest this funding back into open source.
Our roots are in open source. The services we provide are based on best-in-class open source data technologies. We are establishing the Open-Source Office that will coordinate and increase our contributions to the open source community.
Through Aiven, developers can do what they do best: create applications. Meanwhile, we do what we do best; manage cloud data infrastructure. We enable our customers to drive business results from open source resulting in true transformations far beyond their own backyards.
Flink Open Source Developer
We are now looking for a Flink core and ecosystem developer / Open Source database enthusiast to join our committed and talented team! This position is open to candidates in the Helsinki or Berlin area and to remote candidates in Europe.
Aiven offers and operates Apache Kafka and other Kafka ecosystem open source components like Kafka MirrorMaker and various Kafka connectors. Support for Apache Flink is in the near term roadmap.
Your role is to directly contribute to the open source Flink ecosystem projects. You will be developing new features, writing plugins, connectors and other extensions, and investigating and fixing issues with the Kafka and other Kafka ecosystem components. All your work is contributed to the open source community.
You will also work as a bridge between the Kafka community and Aiven, to drive fixes and features important to Aiven. Previous experience on working with open source communities would help in the role but is not absolutely necessary.
- Excellent development skills in Java and Scala (SE; Java EE, Spring, or Hibernate knowledge is not required)
- Hands-on experience with Apache Flink and Apache Zookeeper. Apache Kafka experience is considered a plus.
- Experience in using Linux in development
- Fluency in English, verbal and written
What we value:
- Prior contribution to Apache Flink, Apache ZooKeeper, Apache Kafka or Apache Cassandra codebase, other big open source Java projects
- Good understanding of security (software, networking)
- Distributed systems knowledge
A fast growing cloud open source tech company offering:
- large variety of opportunities to develop and progress your career in multiple directions
- diverse and international working environment
- extra remuneration for open-source contributions
- participation in employee stock option plan
- flexible working hours and remote working flexibility
- relocation package
- mobile phone of your choice and subscription
Multiple additional perks and benefits including:
- Aiven Library - books of your choice to widen your knowledge
- German and Finnish language courses
- company sponsored events
You will be part of a highly-skilled, tight-knit team, learn from our experience and make your contribution essential to what is becoming a great success story. If you’re interested, send us your application.
Aiven provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation, physical and mental ability, marital and family status or without regard to any other similar personal attributes.
Aiven complies with applicable local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and any other terms and conditions related to employment.