Small businesses with fewer than 10 employees are vital engines of economic resilience and growth. They contribute to GDP, spark innovative technologies and business models, and create 23% of jobs globally (70% in emerging markets). As economies grapple with the downturn caused by the Covid-19 pandemic, the world needs these small businesses to survive and thrive, now more than ever.
We are interested to explore ways in which these small businesses can be supported to achieve sustainable growth, to create jobs and to support their economies as the world looks to recover from the turbulence of the Covid-19 pandemic. The research is funded and delivered alongside the corporate philanthropy division of a multinational financial services company.
Research assistant role
We are looking to engage a research assistant on a short-term contract basis to conduct research and analysis of the micro- and small-sized enterprise (MSE) market in the Nordic countries (Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark). The research assistant will help us to summarise the state-of-play in the MSE landscape, identifying challenges faced by impact-oriented companies particularly related to the COVID-19 pandemic. We are interested to understand the types of support available to these companies through government-, NGO- or other philanthropic initiatives and to ascertain whether or not the current provision of support meets their needs.
The aim of this research is to identify potential opportunities to improve the provision of support for these companies, with potential to design new programmes for implementation beyond 2021. The research and any subsequent programmes are being funded by a well-established philanthropic foundation with substantial experience and existing activity in supporting MSEs.
- Good grasp of the current MSE landscape in the Nordics
- Keen interest in the digital economy as well as the opportunities and constraints that it creates for MSEs
- Good understanding of the types of financial and non-financial support available for MSEs
- Interest in highlighting and assessing the effects of digitisation and of the COVID-19 pandemic on MSEs in these countries
- Experience working on/ within existing programmes to support MSEs in the Nordics
- Short-term fixed contract (c. 25 days total) starting May/ early June 2021 and until August 2021
- Fully remote (no travel expected)
- Competitive rate, commensurate with experience
A note on your application: Please note that your application will be submitted through use of an Application Tracking Software (ATS). We are mindful of the challenges of using ATS, including unintended exclusion. Please be assured, we use the minimum functionality in ATS which enables us to capture and view your application efficiently in collaboration with colleagues. We do not parse or filter resumes in any way, for instance, using keyword scanning or automated ranking. Your application will be viewed by a real person in all cases, and we will get back to you no matter the outcome.