If you're a dog lover, you are almost CERTAINLY aware that cancer is the #1 killer of the canine companion.
And that makes you sad. Like, very, very, very sad. Devastated. (Of course it does. You're not a monster, right?)
Six million dogs are diagnosed with cancer every year. That's six million devastated families. They need help.
And we need you to help us help them.
Cancer may be the number one killer of dogs, but there’s a lot dog owners can do to manage it. That's been our message here at Maui Media since 2007. That’s the year Demian Dressler, DVM, started writing for DogCancerBlog.com.
Then we published his book The Dog Cancer Survival Guide. It went on to be a best-selling small animal health book. (Read the reviews on Amazon.)
Susan Ettinger, DVM, Dip. ACVIM (Oncology) joined Dr. D as co-author for the second edition, published in 2011.
We've been sending out a newsletter (now three days a week!) for years. (Subscribe to Dog Cancer News here.)
A couple of years later, our podcast Dog Cancer Answers was born.
All this high-quality content serves hundreds of thousands of dog lovers around the globe.
And here we are in 2021. Working on an update to the book, building a new companion site ... and in need of help!
We are looking for a virtual assistant ... obsessed with dogs and passionate about health in general ... to be a part of the franchise created by the best-selling animal health book in the English language.
The need for high-quality writing and coaching about dogs and cancer grows every day. And here at Maui Media, we model Dr. D's "full spectrum" approach.
That means no dogma (pun intended).
You don't have to be a veterinarian to apply for this position (although you might be). You might be a veterinary tech, a science geek who happens to love dogs, or a poet. (Poets make the best copywriters! Also, excellent science writers!)
Or you might be a great virtual assistant who happens to love dogs and health and their intersectional topics.
Whatever your background, here's what you need to know right up front:
- If you think only conventional approaches are valid ... if you think lifestyle, mind-body, and supplement strategies are useless ... don't waste our time or yours by applying.
- Also don't apply if you think "natural" is best ... that all health problems can be solved with holistic methods ... that diet is the only answer.
We’re about open minds and open hearts, life quality, and well-being. We're about science, not dogma.
We're looking for a mind at work.
Here’s the truth: we obsess about the dogs. Everything we do we ultimately do for them.
We like dogs so much that our publisher James Jacobson started Dog Podcast Network. That's an entire network dedicated to producing podcasts about dogs.
You will be working with both Maui Media and Dog Podcast Network in this position. (We're sister companies.)
You will be responsible for assisting on all writing, editing, producing, and promoting associated with the topic of dog cancer. That includes but is NOT limited to:
- Customer support in our email ticketing system
- Occasional phone work
- Helping to manage our active private Facebook group
- General social media posting/content generation in all channels
- Helping with the update of the 2nd edition of The Dog Cancer Survival Guide
- Assisting in content generation for the book, site, and podcast (ideas, and some light writing).
- Drafting show notes and articles, and generating transcripts for episodes of Dog Cancer Answers
- Working with other team members to ensure they have what they need
- Creating and managing surveys
- Researching for SEO purposes
- Helping to connect with veterinarians and other medical professionals
There are literally dozens of tasks we may need help with that are not listed here. You will be a go-to person for Molly Jacobson, our chief copywriter and dog cancer content specialist. As such, you should expect to never be bored :-)
We're going to be upfront about something: we hope that you will grow into a promotion.
After a year or two of in-depth assistant work on this project, we're hoping you will be able to take over the content area as the chief writer/editor/producer.
It's a HUGE topic, and we are a well-established presence, so that won't happen overnight. But eventually, we're hoping you will start:
- Writing articles about dog cancer and other dog health/behavioral topics
- Writing press releases
- Writing copy for websites and emails
- Editing and producing Dog Cancer News, our newsletter that goes out three times a week
- Making videos and editing books
- And so much more!
As you can imagine, this is an important position. We are looking for a long-term thinker to join our editorial team.
We don't want to waste your time or our time, so we have a multi-step application process.
At first, you may think it's got too many steps ...
And you might think that it's not "personal" enough ...
But its structure helps us AND YOU figure out whether you are "the one."
Really! There are task assessments, including short essays, a fun video interview process, and meetings with team members.
If you are asked to move forward step by step, it’s because we are increasingly sure you are a good fit.
If at any point in the process you think “I don’t want to do this,” you can (and should) bow out.
No hard feelings. We promise not to waste your time, and appreciate you not wasting ours. ;-)
To start, fill out the application below.
You must include a cover letter. You must start your letter with: "If my dog was diagnosed with cancer, first I would ____________.
After submission, you will be prompted to take the next steps. We can't wait to meet you!
We’re looking for a "Dog Health Nerd" Virtual Assistant for our dog cancer content Writer/Editor/Podcast Producer. You do not have to be a medical professional, but you should have a layperson's interest in medical topics.
And it goes without saying, you must be dog-obsessed. :-)
Excellent customer service skills, strong writing, and confident presentation a must.
You will be interacting with and interviewing veterinary professionals and experts.
You will receive lots of coaching, but you should be comfortable leading a conversation.
Please apply if you ...
- really want to be an EXCELLENT writer
- are curious and open-minded and interested
- have a soft heart for people who are hurting and looking for answers
- want mentorship and fun to be part of your daily work life
- are looking for long-term and meaningful work
This is a fully remote position. If you join our team you will need to have the following in place:
- high-speed internet
- a computer (preferably a PC) that can run the latest Microsoft office software
- working knowledge of Wordpress, social media, and other common internet-based business tools
- a working understanding of audio editing tools like Descript a plus
You will be fully trained on all of our tools, of course. But we need to know that you will get up to speed quickly because we need you writing and editing and producing!
- Amazing team members who have a lot of fun, work hard, and ALL LOVE DOGS. :-)
- Complete control over your schedule, 30-40 hours per week
- Total support on the technical aspects of the job.
- Potential for occasional travel for conferences and trade shows (we pay your way).
- Above Market Compensation commensurate with experience.