Since 2009, Single Grain has been dedicated to drive persistent growth for remarkable companies. We've worked with Series A start-ups to tech giants and enterprises, such as Uber, Amazon, and Salesforce. Our expertise is in paid media, paid social, SEO, and content marketing.
We have a blog, two podcasts, and YouTube channel as a testament to our digital marketing expertise. The podcasts hosted by our CEO, Eric Siu, called Marketing Schooland Leveling Up amass over 1.5 million downloads/month. We speak at conferences as well as host our own, our blog sees over 350,000 visitors/month, and the Leveling UpYouTube channel has 55,000 subscribers and counting. It's our mission to level up every human by educating and moving the marketing industry forward.
Check out our Careers page for a video on our company culture and values by our CEO.
About the Role:
We’re looking for a humble, hungry, and smart Controller to help lead the financial success of our organization. This isn't a standard Controller job - it's a new role where you'll be asked to bring your best ideas to the table for developing and scaling the accounting function in a fast paced environment. You will work closely with the leadership team, providing regular financial reporting and proactive solutions that support and facilitate our aggressive growth goals.
The ideal candidate is used to working on a small team and enjoys taking control of every step in the financial process. They're familiar with the intricacies of finance at agencies and/or SaaS companies and energized by the idea of charting new territory with this role. Experience with M&A integration and/or raising capital is a bonus.
You will be a great fit if:
- You are self-starting, resourceful, entrepreneurial, endlessly curious, and highly ambitious
- You have effective time management and organization skills, strong communication and interpersonal skills, a positive attitude and a growth mindset
- You show up on time, pay attention to details, think on your feet, ask for help when you need it, and consistently demonstrate respect for others
When you apply, please include the words “Finance is Cool” in your headline. Any applicants that do not include this phrase will not be considered.
- Build and manage an evolving cross-functional P&L for the agency and our internal products
- Set and track financial KPIs, highlighting opportunities for efficiency and growth
- Document, monitor and update accounting policies
- Ensure all payments are completed on time (including accounts payable and bank deposits)
- Create & review quarterly and annual budgets for all departments
- Analyze costs and profits
- Report on financial status on a regular basis and create ad-hoc reports when needed
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date filing systems
- Perform internal audits and assist with external audits
- Ensure compliance with accounting and tax regulations
- Manage billing, tax forms, reporting, and more
- Assist in the formulation of internal controls and policies to comply with legislation and established best practices
- Assist in the preparation of financial statements in compliance with official guidelines and requirements
- Work experience as a Controller or similar role
- Experience working with agencies and/or SaaS companies
- Experience building and managing cross-functional P&Ls
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles, procedures and legislation
- Hands-on experience with general ledger accounts payable and accounts receivable functions
- Experience with cash management and risk assessment
- CPA or CMA preferred
- Good knowledge of accounting software
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work with tight deadlines
- Well-organized with ability to prioritize
- Working knowledge of MS Office (especially excel) and accounting software (e.g. Quickbooks)
- M&A experience or experience integrating and consolidating financial systems as part of an acquisition is a huge bonus
- Experience with financing/raising capital also a plus
- Competitive Salary
- 15 days PTO, 25 days after 2 years
- Macbook with M1 Chip and full home office setup
- Medical, Dental, Vision paid 100% by the company
- 401k with partial match
- Life insurance