We are seeking an engineer to join our growing DevOps team at thoughtbot. In this role, you will productionize infrastructure for our rapidly-growing and industry-defining Mission Control team. The ideal candidate will be comfortable with common DevOps tools like Kubernetes and Terraform, as well as cloud platforms including AWS. This role has significant growth potential as you work directly with our leadership team to build our platform for rapid, developer-friendly cloud deployments.
This is a remote position. You can be located anywhere in the world, but we are looking for someone who will be available to work 8 AM - 4 PM GMT or 10 AM - 6 PM PDT.
We believe that it is possible to continuously learn and improve the way people work while building higher-quality products that make positive contributions to the world. We work with companies in every step of the product development and maintenance process to help identify and solve problems. We lead and participate in product design sprints, build high-quality apps, and then deploy them.
We proactively work on improving diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at thoughtbot. We aim to maintain an inclusive work environment where everyone can thrive professionally, as well as have full lives outside of work. Read about our DEI efforts in the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion section of our Playbook. We acknowledge that DEI work is never done, and that we will make mistakes along the way. We are continuously working on learning, improving ourselves, and the company.
As a member of thoughtbot, you’ll be part of our distributed remote community. We’re continuously working to assure remote work is inclusive, collaborative, comfortable, and social.
This DevOps Engineer role at thoughtbot Mission Control brings together a broad understanding of, and experience with, tools and technologies, security training and testing expertise, and people skills (collaboration and flexibility). As a DevOps Engineer at thoughtbot you will:
- Build and maintain AWS and Kubernetes environments
- Design and implement continuous integration and deployment platform
- Productionize local environments into cloud-scale availability
- Improve our automated infrastructure
- Improve our testing and deployment pipelines
- Collaborate with DevOps team members as well as all of thoughtbot
- Value quality, trust, continuous improvement, and self-management.
Well-qualified candidates will have:
- Full-stack development mindset, comfortable working in any part of the stack and learning on the job
- 3+ years of experience working in DevOps role
- 3+ years of experience deploying to AWS
- 1+ years of experience and passion for Kubernetes and open source
- Ability to take a functioning application running in a local environment and work with product leads to productionize in AWS or Kubernetes
- Strong understanding of distributed systems architecture
- Experience designing, documenting, and deploying development pipelines that maximize engineer’s ability to quickly and safely build features
- Desire to set & meet aggressive goals and ability to work in a fast paced environment with a risk management mindset
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
Well-qualified candidates value diversity, equity, and inclusion, and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
We especially appreciate candidates that demonstrate commitment to valuing DEI and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment. We also understand that not everyone has had the opportunity to commit to this work, and that's okay.
We encourage you to apply even if you don’t match 100% of the requirements. Let us know if you need any specific accommodations during the interview process.
In addition to competitive compensation, we also offer a comprehensive benefits package the specifics of which depend on where you reside. For US-based team members thoughtbot pays at least 90% of the medical insurance premiums for individuals, 80% for their families for all medical plans, and 100% of the premium for employees and their families for our core dental plan and vision coverage. We cover disability insurance, basic life insurance with the opportunity to buy up. We also offer a comprehensive 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting. Team members accrue 20 paid vacation days and receive 11 paid holidays per year in addition to 10 paid sick days. New parents receive at least 6 weeks paid parental leave, as well as the ability to take up to 6 months off.
Our team works in a relaxed and educational environment to develop excellent products for our clients. We work a sustainable pace of 40 hours/week. We also reserve at least 4 weeks per year for investing in ourselves, the company, and our community. Everything we do is predicated on having a great team and a culture of growing. We use the latest technologies and are always down to try new methods on both internal and client projects.
thoughtbot does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits.
thoughtbot does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate. Any unsolicited resumes not originating directly from a candidate and sent to thoughtbot or any thoughtbot's employees, including unsolicited resumes sent to a thoughtbot mailing address or email address, are rejected. thoughtbot will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. thoughtbot considers any candidate for whom the recruiter has submitted an unsolicited resume referred by the company free of any fees.