Be A Hero PAC is a national progressive organization that works tirelessly to advocate for a more fair and just healthcare system in the United States. Founded in 2018, Be A Hero has grown rapidly and helped shape the dialogue for healthcare advocacy and accountability in America.
With a remote team across the country, we support and advance the state-based and national fight for Medicare for All, opposition to Big Pharma, progressive COVID policy, and a host of other progressive issues. We operate through a model of empowering local progressive infrastructure through meaningful, long-term partnerships to take collective action to change national policy and politics.
Be a Hero - along with SEIU National - is embarking on a six-month campaign to organize a force of disabled Americans to help win the fight for home and community-based services (HCBS) funding this year. The ideal candidate for this position will be an experienced organizer who values relationship building, progressive values and being a team player. In addition, the candidate should also show demonstrated knowledge of organizing in the disability community, the state of application (AZ, MI, NH, WV), and working knowledge of HCBS. This will be a 6-month short-term contract position, it will be remote with occasional in-person COVID-safe activity. The compensation will be equivalent to a monthly retainer of $6000-$7000, depending on availability and experience.
- Work Directly with partner organizations on the ground in states to plan and execute COVID-friendly volunteer actions, including Direct Actions and visibility events.
- Educating volunteers for, and conducting accessible direct actions in a COVID-safe environment, ex assembling outside a legislative office.
- Educating volunteers to ask questions of representatives, and filming representatives responses for use by the organization.
- Preparing and supporting volunteers to take meetings with their legislators.
- Organizer will own all direct relationships with volunteers and volunteer leaders.
- Identify, recruit, and train volunteer leaders to hold phone banks, text banks, and lead other actions to grow the movement for HCBS.
- Hold weekly or bi-weekly Zoom meetings to manage volunteer leaders and maintain strong relationships.
- Organizers will hold volunteers accountable to agreed-upon volunteer team goals through positive, collaborative, and inspirational communication/motivation.
- Work with the larger BAH team to identify opportunities and challenges on the ground and proactively solve them.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Strong interpersonal skills, experience meeting deadlines, and the ability to manage many tasks simultaneously
- At least one election cycle of organizing experience is strongly preferred
- Experience leading and training for direct actions strongly preferred
- Working knowledge of advocacy technology including: VoteBuilder, EveryAction, or SmartVAN, ThruText, ThruTalk, or similar
- Proficiency with Zoom, Google Suite, and Excel preferred
- Good sense of humor and a strong interest in and commitment to progressive values
- Ability and desire to work flexible hours accommodating working hours on the west coast.