Upwork Inc. (Nasdaq: UPWK) is the world’s largest work marketplace that connects businesses with independent talent.. As Hayden Brown, CEO, stated during the Q1’21 earnings release, “We continue to see success with our strategy as demonstrated by accelerating growth of both new clients and core clients, growing spend per client, and increasing customer lifetime value.” As the Corporate Tax Director, you will be the single point of contact for all tax matters for the Upwork cross functional team as well as with our 3rd party tax firms. With assistance from the tax firms, you will partner with leadership and key stakeholders across the broader organization to design, implement, and manage both domestic and international transactional tax in the marketplace space. Once you are up to speed on how we operate today and how to best align your function to Upwork’s strategies, you will have the opportunity to scale and expand our tax department to support the future of Upwork with a hybrid workforce model.
- Lead global tax operation and compliance, including coordination of the timely and accurate preparation and filings of the federal and state tax returns as well as income tax provisions by working with 3rd party tax firms.
- Work with the 3rd party tax firms to monitor domestic and international legislative and regulatory tax law developments and communicate the effect of these developments to management.
- Perform analysis of strategic tax initiatives by working with 3rd party tax firms to develop both domestic and international indirect tax strategy. The indirect taxes include sales/use tax as well as VAT/GST on our platform.
- Manage all tax-related projects, including 382 study, R&D study, and international tax structure planning.
- Provide advice to the internal business partners on indirect tax matters which freelancers and/or clients on our platform may face, including a review of the enterprise contract for the tax related matters.
- Responsible for reviewing the income tax related footnote disclosure based on US GAAP on the Form 10-K/10-Q.
- Responsible for design and review of SOX controls around tax processes.
- Evaluate and quantify tax exposures for non-income taxes under ASC 450
- CPA strongly preferred
- Demonstrated experience in public accounting and industry required
- Relevant work experience in US and international tax research and compliance
- Exposure to indirect tax issues including sales tax, VAT and GST
- Familiarity with third-party indirect tax systems such as Vertex, Onesource or Avalara
- Managed a distributed workforce (e.g., outsourcing or captive team)
- Ability to produce timely deliverables and manage multiple and shifting priorities in a dynamic environment
- Strong project management skills
- Self-motivated with great attention to detail, project management and organizational skills and demonstrates strong ownership of tasks
- Strong command of written, verbal and presentation and research skills
- Ability to work with all levels of employees and cross functional groups, results driven with high level of integrity
- Scale and process-oriented with high attention to detail, accuracy, and follow-through
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also support hiring of corporate full-time employees in 15 states in the United States. Please speak with a member of our recruitment team to determine whether you are located in a state in which we are hiring corporate full-time employees.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.