[As of June 2020, Quora has become a "remote-first" company. This position can be performed remotely from anywhere in the world, regardless of any location that might be specified above.]
The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people's heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds — from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences — so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world's knowledge, and we're building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.
Our engineering team works on challenging problems to achieve our mission at scale. We have a culture that's rooted in constantly learning and improving, and our engineers are encouraged to think big and experiment with new ideas. We iterate quickly by using continuous deployment, which means that every commit goes live on our production servers within minutes, no matter what time it is. Our engineers focus on creating polished products and writing high quality code by designing APIs and abstractions that are extensible and maintainable. Everyone on the engineering team has a huge impact on our product and our company.
To fully achieve our mission to share and grow the world’s knowledge, we need to make sure that the knowledge on Quora will improve and last forever. Revenue from our monetization efforts plays a critical role in empowering us to do that. Since we first launched our advertising platform, we've already grown to support thousands of advertisers who are reaching over 300 million monthly unique visitors on Quora. We have continued to build new products from the ground up and tackle exciting challenges at scale such as audience targeting, low-latency real-time ad delivery, and a suite of advertiser tools to create and optimize campaigns. We're also expanding our monetization channels outside ads, including features to support creators on Quora.
As an Engineering Manager on the Monetization team, you'll lead and grow a critical team that is focused on multiple revenue efforts. You’ll work closely with other product development leaders to plan, prioritize, and deliver scalable, reliable product features that delight our users, advertisers, and businesses on Quora.
- Lead and grow a team of full-stack, frontend and backend software engineers to deliver high-impact projects to enhance our ads platform and creator experience.
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of engineers.
- Foster a collaborative and inclusive team culture.
- Collaborate with Product Management, Design, Data Science, User Research, Sales, and Marketing to shape the team's roadmap and ensure successful execution towards our strategy.
- Work with the Engineering management team to develop new initiatives and improve existing processes across the entire Engineering team.
- Work with the Recruiting team to grow the Monetization team, including hiring, branding, and onboarding initiatives.
- Ability to be available for meetings and impromptu communication during Quora's "coordination hours" (Mon-Fri: 9am-3pm Pacific Time). Learn why here
- 5+ years of professional experience architecting, building, and scaling user-facing products
- 2+ years of professional software engineering experience for online advertising or related areas in monetization, subscriptions, or marketing
- 2+ years leading projects with a cross-functional development team to gather business requirements, drive alignment, and iterate quickly
- 2+ years of direct people management experience in a technology company
- Superlative communication skills
- Strong understanding of the web application stack, distributed systems, and scalability
- Passion for Quora's mission and goals
- Prior experience managing a distributed engineering team
- Familiarity with Python, React, GraphQL and online storage systems such as MySQL or MyRocks
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.