About this role:
Factal is hiring an experienced journalist to join our Seattle-based newsroom and work alongside other editors to monitor and cover global breaking news stories in real time. We're looking for forward-thinking editors with experience in news and digital newsrooms. You are excited about the fast-paced world of breaking news, calm in high-stress environments and familiar with covering different regions of the world. This position would be primarily afternoon and evening shifts, along with one weekend shift.
Remote candidates welcome, but must be based on the West Coast of the United States.
In a world of false information, facts save lives. From wildfires and shootings to disease outbreaks, Factal verifies and pinpoints global events in real time. Trusted by many of the world's largest companies, technology platforms and NGOs, Factal helps keep people safe while expediting disaster relief and humanitarian aid to those who need it most.
The ideal candidate:
- Excels at real-time news judgment in a high-pressure environment
- Can quickly write accurate and concise news copy that follows AP style
- Is able to write transparently, explaining what we know and don't know
- Has a knack for finding and making sense of news events from social media
- Has experience using tools and techniques for verifying information
- Thrives in breaking news situations and can cope with strong online content
- Is familiar with global geography and the current state of geopolitics
- Can understand more than one language (preferred but not required)
- Can communicate effectively (and share cool ideas) with product teams
- Is a self-starter who works well with others in a startup environment
- Will be available to work a flexible schedule in terms of days and hours
More reasons to work at Factal:
- Full Medical, Vision and Dental Coverage
- Generous PTO and Parental Leave
- Stock Options
- Work Retreats
- Monthly Snack Boxes
- Lots of dog pics
Factal pays competitively, and we offer equal employment opportunities to all candidates. Factal does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service or other non-merit factor.