Who are Tyk, and what do we do?
The Tyk API Management platform is helping to drive the connected world and power new products and services. We’re changing the way that organisations connect any number of their systems and services.Whether internal, external, public or highly encrypted systems, Tyk helps businesses drive value across the retail, finance, telecoms, healthcare, or media industries (to name just a few!) If you’ve banked online, used an app to check the news, or perhaps even driven a connected car, API’s, and by extension, Tyk, make that possible. Founded in 2015 with offices in London, Atlanta and Singapore, we have many thousands of users of our B2B platform across the globe. Brands using Tyk range from Singapore Post and Skills Future Singapore, to global organisations like the Financial Times, and Starbucks. We have a varied user base hailing from every continent – even Antarctica.
The internet started by connecting mainframes, by the end of the 20th century 600m desktop and laptop computers exchanged email and web-traffic. Today around 15 billion ‘things’ are connected to the internet, growing at a rate of a billion per year. Tyk are committed to enabling interconnectivity between systems and between devices. We’ve started by building an API Management platform.
Total flexibility, default remote, radical responsibility
We offer unlimited paid holidays and remote working from anywhere in the world, for everyone – for real. Why? Tyk was founded on the principle of doing things differently and offering flexibility and autonomy to our employees are two principles that, we believe, allow our employees to achieve their best results. It also means we can build the best possible team, location and working hours are no barrier. If this sounds like an environment that you believe could work for you then read on to find out more:
What can you do with us?
As our Engineering Manager you will be the control and command point for all process, policy, tooling, metrics, and roles and responsibilities across the Tyk software delivery lifecycle (SDLC). You will work with internal and external team members to make the SDLC an exemplar of quality, clarity, and constant improvement. You will have an obsession with engineering quality, and ensure we are constantly trending upwards - getting better with each release. You will investigate ways to get better, faster, and more secure, and not just accept that slowing down is our only option. All of our squads will consume the processes and policies you own - so this is a pivotal role in our engineering organisation. On top of this, you will coordinate our recruitment and procurement activity so that we are constantly on top of our tooling and resourcing. This is an opportunity to help Tyk define our engineering process as we continue to scale and you will become a huge part of how we grow as a business - If this challenge sounds exciting to you please read on to find out more!
Here’s what you’ll be getting up to:
- Owning, maintaining, and improving the processes within the Tyk SDLC, from interface with Product Managers, to release go / no go criteria and packaging processes in Dev Ops - this could be as diverse as a postmortem process to a new tooling procurement process
- Be obsessed with ensuring our releases are good quality, have the correct engineering go / no go criteria, and high levels of automation
- Own , maintain, and improve the roles and responsibilities matrix within the SDLC
- Owning, maintaining and improving the policies which we need to run the SDLC - these policies could be internally or externally focused , such as a QA environment policy or a security policy.
- Identifying gaps in our process and policy landscape and fixing them
- Constantly review our tooling to ensure we have the best tools for the job, with an clear aim to automate as much as we can
- Own the quality agenda for engineering - set out clear quality goals, and report against these whilst constantly driving us forward
- Being a constant consultant to the Product Owners, squads and beyond to always understand the opportunities, successes and frustrations within the SDLC. Ensure proposals and remediations are done in consultation with main stakeholders
- Have a constant linkage and dialogue with customer facing functions - understand customer pain points, reputational issues caused by the SDLC - and act on these
- Own the engineer and QA recruitment process.
- Work with Ops to support compliance led activities, such as describing processes for ISO or SOCII compliance
- Work with lead engineers and product owners to ensure our engineers are happy, engaged, and have a good work life balance.
- Own the performance management process for engineers - working with HR to improve frameworks, elevate engineers who are ready for promotion, hold talent maps for engineering
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Proven experience at an Engineering Manager / Senior Developer level with demonstrable experience of direct line line management.
- Natural ability to lead, motivate and collaborate.
- Degree in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent experience
- Experience with APIM solutions, B2B software, or Golang
- Proven track record of shipping high quality software on embedded platforms.
- Ability to see the big picture while focused on short-term objectives.
- Proven ability to manage external vendors.
- A natural desire to own, lead, solve, and collaborate
- Demonstrable evidence of data led quality improvement
Our early stage team members are shaping our business, there is an attractive package based on experience and performance that includes share options. Everyone has unlimited paid holiday. We have total flexibility in hours, so plan your day around your commitments to ensure you can give your best at work and at home.
You will work with a talented, and passionate team of industry experts, who are developing a cutting-edge product that is driving change and innovation within startups and household names alike.
We’re a distributed team. Work from our offices during induction if you want, once you are up to speed, you can work from home, a cafe, your mum's house, wherever you get your best work done, we’ll support you in making that happen.
The best software and hardware available - we are prime movers in “The New Stack”, our setup reflects that.
We are growing rapidly and are looking for team members keen to grab hold, accelerate that further and shape our future.
What’s it like to work here?! check it out: https://tyk.io/worklife/
Tyk aims to be an equal opportunities employer and we are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status, or race, or is disadvantaged by conditions or requirements which cannot be shown to be justifiable.
You can see more about us here https://tyk.io