Mediavine is seeking a React engineer to join our Create team. We are looking for someone who enjoys solving interesting problems and wants to work with a small team of talented engineers on a product used by thousands of publishers.
Mediavine is a fast-growing advertising management company representing over 7500 websites in the food, lifestyle, DIY, and entertainment space. Founded by content creators, for content creators, Mediavine is a Top 20 Comscore property, exclusively reaching over 125 million monthly unique visitors. With best-in-class technology and a commitment to traffic quality and brand safety, we ensure optimal performance for our creators.
We help content creators build sustainable businesses. From educational tools and cutting-edge plugins to ad technology that maximizes earnings without slowing down your site, our motivation is ensuring your brand and business grow in every respect.
We are striving to build an inclusive and diverse team of highly talented individuals that reflects the industries we serve and the world we live in. We are committed to creating a culture where everyone feels welcomed. We are looking for individuals that will challenge us to continuously evolve and make Mediavine the employer of choice for people of all backgrounds. We strongly encourage minorities and individuals from underrepresented groups in technology to apply for this position.
Diversity and inclusion aren't platitudes to us; we take them seriously. Have a look at our team and read through our blog posts to learn more about our values and to discover if Mediavine is the place for you!
We're looking for someone who enjoys learning about and working on all aspects of a product. Our Create product suite encompasses both an expansive WordPress plugin and a set of related cloud services. Together, they help more than 8,000 independent publishers manage a wide range of content on their sites, including recipe cards, DIY guides, and content lists. We're actively trying to expand our product's reach and impact.
We're working in a mature code base that has some challenges, chief among them sparse testing coverage and documentation. We're actively working on improving this and more, but we're doing it iteratively and in the context of product requests. Ideal candidates will have both an intrinsic desire to improve the code and a pragmatic approach to accomplishing this while continuing to ship. We value consistency and sustainable effort, not sacrificing stability or our health to check a box.
This is a very collaborative role that requires excellent communication skills. You'll be working with a team of 3-5 developers as well as directly with QA, product, and support on a regular cadence. We have brief daily stand-ups and other bi-weekly Scrum meetings. You'll have regular one-to-one meetings with your team lead or an engineering manager to discuss feedback, organizational changes, and your professional growth. The happiness and health of our engineers is a top concern at Mediavine, and we want to ensure you are challenged, thriving and enjoying the work you do and the people you get to do it with.
- Research & consult the team on architectural decisions related to new and existing features.
- Work with our Product and QA teams to make sure that our products meet requirements by clarifying goals and options.
- Proactively communicate challenges, considerations, and priorities with team members and stakeholders.
- Apply bug fixes that have been prioritized by the Product and QA teams.
- Identify engineering priorities related to our product and processes, and help the team complete work on previously identified priorities.
- Assist with product release processes.
- Assist our dedicated Support Engineers in identifying the causes of select customer issues related to our products.
- Write testable code, identify how automated test coverage can be improved, assist QA in adding end-to-end (E2E) tests, and respond to bugs with increased test coverage whenever possible.
- Must currently live in the United States.
- Strong foundational knowledge of CSS.
- Excellent English-language communication skills, especially in text (we primarily communicate over Slack and Google Meet)
- Experience building web applications and/or plugins
- Version control experience (we use git)
- Thorough understanding of HTTP, DNS, and a generic web stack.
- Strong debugging skills in a web context.
- General knowledge of best practices around front end performance
- Developing plugins or themes for WordPress or similar
- Writing TypeScript
- Writing & using compiled CSS, like Sass.
- Writing tests for Lighthouse & Web Vitals
- Writing E2E tests in Cypress or similar tool
- Implementing accessibility standards and improving overall accessibility
- Success in a remote work environment
- Team-based workflows (we use Scrum, code reviews, and trunk-based development)
- Remote work environment.
- Travel opportunities (remember those!?)
- Comprehensive benefits including 401k, Health, Dental, and Vision insurance.
- Learning allowance.
- Generous Vacation/Time off policies.
- Additional side benefits such as home-office upgrades, tuition reimbursement, paid gym memberships and wellness retreats, upgraded flights, cool swag and more.
- Company match charitable donations.
- Salary: $100-110k