Hungryroot is your personal grocer, powered by AI and the belief that food deeply impacts your daily life. You tell us a little about yourself, and we deliver healthy groceries to your door each week with recipes and meal planning support. Hungryroot helps you save time, save money, shop sustainably, and eat what makes you feel your best.
About the opportunity
We're looking for a creative, pragmatic, and food-obsessed Director of Culinary to lead our team of chefs and drive our recipe development strategy. Reporting to our Chief Operating Officer, this role will be responsible for all aspects of recipe development and will be a key player in shaping our food products roadmap, including new/proprietary product development. You will be a key member of our leadership team as we rapidly scale our business and our food products assortment from 300 to 3,000 products over the next 3 years. Food is at the center of the Hungryroot customer journey, and you will play a critical role in ensuring we consistently delight our customers. This is an ideal position for someone with extensive recipe development experience who has a track record as a dedicated, proactive, and positive team player and who is ready for their next challenge.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead team of recipe developers and testers to ensure our recipes deliver a world-class food experience and maximize the value of our grocery offering
- Analyze recipe ratings/feedback to drive continuous improvement efforts around the customer food experience
- Collaborate with the Marketing team to develop content for our customer community (e.g. cooking tips, recipe photos, etc)
- Partner with Sourcing team to identify new product development opportunities and help inform the food products roadmap
- Lead all internal and external recipe testing and development activities
- Stay current on all food-related market and competitor trends through research and benchmarking
- Play a critical role in the continual improvement of our creative quality, thinking, and capabilities; champion innovation across the organization
- 10+ years of culinary experience
- Degree in culinary arts
- CPG or DTC recipe and/or R&D testing experience preferred
- Creative yet pragmatic when it comes to creating new products and recipes within an established framework with certain limitations
- Comfort with data and interpreting basic analyses
- Proactive, ambitious, and assertive: you take ownership of your work and think beyond the scope of a given assignment
- Organized, make things happen, creative at solving problems, and relentless until the desired outcome is achieved
- Excited to work in a fast-paced environment with limited direction
- A motivated, positive, proactive and transparent attitude
- Passion for healthy living, brightening people's days and Hungryroot's mission
- Based at our Manhattan Office, just south of Madison Square Park (Note: we are currently working remotely and will support remote working indefinitely)
- Reports to our COO
- Competitive compensation + subsidized health benefits
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Monthly Hungryroot credit
- Universal paid parental leave
- A working environment filled with passionate, happy, smart people
Hungryroot is built on the values of being proactive, positive, and transparent in all that we do. Our mission to help make healthy eating easy, accessible, and joyful is better served by a diverse workplace.
We are a proud Equal Opportunity Employer committed to building an inclusive workplace. We have zero-tolerance for harassment or discrimination. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.