Fastly helps people stay better connected with the things they love. Fastly’s edge cloud platform enables customers to create great digital experiences quickly, securely, and reliably by processing, serving, and securing our customers’ applications as close to their end-users as possible — at the edge of the Internet. The platform is designed to take advantage of the modern internet, to be programmable, and to support agile software development. Fastly’s customers include many of the world’s most prominent companies, including Vimeo, Pinterest, The New York Times, and GitHub.
We're building a more trustworthy Internet. Come join us.
Director, Global Compensation and Mobility
Fastly is growing rapidly and is seeking an experienced Director, Global Compensation and Mobility to be a key contributor for our emerging growth globally. The person in this role will drive compensation programs, policies and practices and structures that enable the business and position Fastly to compete effectively in every market we compete for talent. This role will report to the VP, Total Rewards and will partner with the broader Total Rewards team, people team as well as external, cross-functional partners in a leadership capacity.
You will be responsible for the development, implementation, administration and maintenance of compensation programs and initiatives with a particular focus on developing strategies appropriate for US and Non-US territories where we operate. In addition to further developing Fastly’s compensation philosophy and guidelines, you will play an important role in building greater transparency around Fastly’s pay practices and objectives, and in educating managers and employees on how Fastly’s compensation philosophy can drive and support future growth and success.
Given Fastly’s global presence and distributed workforce, you will also help build a foundation of effective global mobility strategies that align tax, immigration and relocation processes that are effective and compliant with all federal, state and local laws.
What You'll Do
- Drive strategic alignment on compensation philosophy and strategy for broad-based global compensation, tying in with the broader Total Rewards philosophy and strategy. This includes aligning on compensation communication philosophy and approach for the organization (ie, guiding our path to transparency on data).
- Direct the evaluation, development, and implementation of compensation policies, surveys and programs that support the organization’s business strategy. Scope includes executive compensation, broad-based employee compensation, oversight and governance of sales commission plans
- Research best/leading practices and provide advice/presenting on current compensation issues and trends.
- Create communication materials to explain and promote compensation programs. Activities may include developing announcements, presentations, and management/employee training materials.
- Develop, review, and update compensation policies and procedures (for example, requirements and process for job reevaluation).
- Conduct salary budgeting analysis and develop recommendations for structural adjustments to pay systems (for example, grade/range adjustments), merit pool, or bonus pool budgets. Activities may include determining the financial impact of pay scale adjustments or bonus plans. Will require close collaboration with other internal teams (ie, Finance)
- Assist in preparation of materials for executive meetings (Compensation Committee, Board of Directors); provide data for use in the proxy statement, annual report, and other corporate information.
- In partnership with People Operations, manage compensation vendor performance including partnership meetings, service level agreements, performance issues and guarantees, satisfaction of contract requirements and new or enhanced services.
- Analyze and present quantitative/qualitative data on compensation to provide insights and predictions and measure return on investment (for example, presenting to management trends in new hire and retention bonus payments and their impact on retention).
- Regularly consults and advises business leaders, people team leaders on compensation strategies and approaches to attract and retain top talent
- Lead strategic key initiatives on annual basis including, Pay Equity Analysis, Competitive Benchmarking and other specific studies as needed
- Serve as subject matter expert for all global compensation technology-enabled solutions (ie, Workday)
- Provide compensation subject matter expertise in enterprise initiatives, including M&A, cost reduction, new market expansion, etc.
- Oversee development and governance of Employee Bonus & Recognition Programs
- Define global mobility strategy for the entire organization
- Develop sourcing programs and tools, including technology, for internal and external candidates
- Research best/leading practices and provide advice on current global mobility issues and trends
- Develop and negotiate global mobility vendor contracts (as needed)
- In partnership with People Operations, manage global mobility vendor performance, including partnership meetings, service level agreements, performance issues, and satisfaction of contractor requirements for new or existing services
- Analyze/provide qualitative and quantitative data on mobility insights and measure ROI
What We're Looking For
- BA/BS or equivalent
- 12+ years of sales compensation design experience, with 2+ year in a SaaS company with a recurring revenue business model
- At least 5 years of experience in areas of Global Mobility such as setting policies, programs and procedures in support of complex relocations, tax and immigration policy/laws
- Hands-on leader with demonstrated coaching and mentoring skills
- Ability to analyze data and create meaningful, understandable insights and metrics; strong experience with Workday as an HRIS preferred.
- Excellent skills in both mathematical and comparative analysis
- Knowledge of compensation policies and programs and associated compliance issues
- Certified Compensation Professional (CCP) or equivalent preferred
- Demonstrated ability to influence leaders at the senior level in the organization
- Extensive knowledge of HR products and services and awareness of HR strategy around talent identification, attraction, engagement and retention
- Excellent project management, program and change management experience, organizational, and follow-up skills necessary to prioritize and complete multiple projects and tasks and effectively handle short notice assignments
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and within a team, conduct research, formulate conclusions, and present conclusions regarding complex business issues
- Experience working in matrixed environments with multiple stakeholders and global nuance
- Proficient in Excel, specifically using formulas, charting, and advanced spreadsheet management skills
- Verbal, written, and interpersonal skills necessary to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization; ability to generate concise presentation decks to communicate various compensation-related information
We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful -- every day.
We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit, please apply!
Fastly is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity and to providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Employment decisions at Fastly are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, family or parental status, disability*, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Fastly encourages applicants from all backgrounds.
*Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Fastly. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.