When you join Turnitin, you'll be welcomed into a company that is a recognized innovator in the global education space. You'll join our diverse community of colleagues who are all unified by a shared desire to make a difference in education. So come join us and begin the most gratifying next chapter of your career.
For more than 20 years, Turnitin has partnered with educational institutions to promote honesty, consistency, and fairness across all subject areas and assessment types. Our products are used by educational institutions and certification and licensing programs to uphold integrity and increase learning performance, and by students and professionals to do their best, original work.
The Revenue Accounting Manager will be responsible for leading and managing the execution of all aspects of SaaS revenue accounting for the company in accordance with US GAAP and internal accounting policies. The Revenue Manager will work closely with the Sales, Legal, Order Processing, and Finance Business Partners, among other stakeholders providing guidance for contracts in addition to traditional revenue accounting tasks.
This position will provide revenue recognition guidance to the business, review contracts, perform the monthly and quarterly close process for revenue, reconcile and validate deferred revenue and other accounts, book all required reserves and adjustments, analyze data, and prepare reports for auditors and executives. The manager will also participate in special projects when revenue recognition expertise is needed, providing both technical and/or operational knowledge. We are looking for a high-energy, hands-on individual that has the ability to work independently providing advanced technical accounting expertise in support of the company’s revenue drivers and initiatives.
This position requires the ability to work, adapt, and evolve in a fast-paced environment, often working under tight deadlines, changing requirements, and teams in multiple time zones. Dedication, quick thinking, good decision-making, a high sense of urgency and experienced management skills are critical traits for this role. This position will report directly to our Accounting Director and play an instrumental role in the financial future of the company.
- Review of non-standard, complex, high-value contracts for proper revenue recognition under ASC 606 and compliance with internal requirements. Advise on the accounting implications of non-standard financial terms and modifications of sales contracts.
- Manage the revenue policy per ASC 606 for all revenue streams.
- Research and document technical revenue issues, including deal specific positions, revenue recognition policies and recognition of new product and service offerings
- Review and approve estimate-based and significant revenue journal entries
- Direct revenue financial close cycles
- Interface with external auditors and direct production of audit support based on audit requests
- Assist in the production of the audited financial statements, including footnote creation and preparation of complicated support schedules
- Review the work of the Senior Accountant, including balance sheet account reconciliations and journal entries related to revenue and commissions
- Oversee and review the in-house commission calculations
- Review reseller commission calculations for compliance with reseller commission agreements
- Review all commissions for completeness and accuracy and for proper accounting treatment under ASC 606
- Perform flux analyses for revenue accounts on a monthly basis to ensure results are within expectation
- Oversee compliance with US sales tax and VAT regulations, as well as abandoned property reporting
- Provide support to management and other internal customers as needs arise, including ad-hoc financial analysis and special projects
- Streamline processes and improve existing procedures. Participate in the ongoing development/establishment of accounting policies and procedures and operational strategies including the review and implementation of process and system changes
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance required (CPA preferred)
- Experience in public accounting Big 4 a plus
- 5+ years’ hands on experience working directly in revenue in a high growth SaaS environment with subscription and service products required.
- Advanced knowledge of applying US GAAP software revenue accounting guidelines – extensive knowledge of ASC 606 guidelines and experience adopting ASC 606 required
- 5+ years’ experience in an accounting leadership role
- Expert Excel skills and hands-on exposure to accounting systems (NetSuite preferred), Salesforce and Avalara
- Excellent quantitative and analytical skills
Our Mission is to ensure the integrity of global education and meaningfully improve learning outcomes.
Our Values underpin everything we do.
Customer Centric - We realize our mission to ensure integrity and improve learning outcomes by putting educators and learners at the center of everything we do.
Passion for Learning - We seek out teammates that are constantly learning and growing and build a workplace which enables them to do so.
Integrity - We believe integrity is the heartbeat of Turnitin. It shapes our products, the way we treat each other, and how we work with our customers and vendors.
Action & Ownership - We have a bias toward action and empower teammates to make decisions.
One Team - We strive to break down silos, collaborate effectively, and celebrate each other’s successes.
Global Mindset - We respect local cultures and embrace diversity. We think globally and act locally to maximize our impact on education.
Seeing Beyond the Job Ad
At Turnitin, we recognize it’s unrealistic for candidates to fulfill 100% of the criteria in a job ad. We encourage you to apply if you meet the majority of the requirements because we know that skills evolve over time. If you’re willing to learn and evolve alongside us, join our team!
Turnitin, LLC is committed to the policy that all persons have equal access to its programs, facilities and employment. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and the LGBTQ+ community, regardless of age, gender, religion, marital or veterans status.