Methods are recruiting for Senior Technical Architects and Technical Architects ((Cloud Platforms) to join our team on a permanent basis.
The post holder will be Home-based (this role will require regular UK travel and at times need you to stay away from home).
Since our establishment in 1990, Methods has partnered with a range of central government departments and agencies to transform the way the public sector operates in the UK.
Our mission is to improve and safeguard public-facing services. We apply digital thinking to ensure the future of our public services is centred around our citizens.
Our human touch sets us apart from other consultancies, system integrators and software houses - we have a customer-centric value system whereby we focus on delivering what is right for our clients.
We passionately support our clients in the success of their projects while working collaboratively to share skill sets and solve problems. At Methods we have fun while working hard; we are not afraid of making mistakes and learning from them.
Methods Technical Delivery and Software Engineering portfolio is a high-growth area for Methods. We’ve achieved 200% growth year-on year and are forecasting more in 2021/22 having won significant projects in our key accounts across Government. We’re building our delivery capacity and capability by recruiting more permanent staff as the foundation for delivering this growth.
As a senior technical architect, you will be involved in projects during all parts of the lifecycle from initial reports or proposals (including sales/marketing support) through to the design and delivery, you’ll be responsible for defining the overall structure of a program or system.
As a key person in project structures, your responsibilities will encompass both technical areas and non-technical such as stakeholder management, client expectation management, line management, etc. From the technical perspective, you will be responsible for the architecture (all 4 domains) and engineering outcomes across the full service and project lifecycle from design/inception through to BAU and Service Management across a portfolio of work. This is expected to make up 80% of your time; and the remainder includes growing and improving our architecture and engineering capability (recruitment, assurance and general management), supporting our communities of practice (thought leadership and mentoring), and contributing to pre-sales (solution approach/estimates for bids, and occasional presentation support).
This role focuses on specific experience and competencies aligned to the adoption of public, private, community and hybrid cloud data platforms, migration, and associated capabilities in regulated and OFFICAL + classification workload. This includes but is not limited to single and multi-cloud deployments, improvements, and live service support
The Senior Technical Architect will:
- Define, lead and assure the delivery of architectural artifacts on a portfolio of client projects, including technology roadmaps, vision statements, applying policies to high-level solution designs (HLSD), low-level designs (LLD), estimations (cost and time) and solution options reports (SOR), across multiple views (conceptual, logical, physical, etc) across the TOGAF domains and aligned to the appropriate sector and industry frameworks e.g. NCSC, Technology Code of Practice, Well Architected Framework etc.
- Be a hands-on leader, taking accountability for the assurance and validation of technical deliverables across the architecture, development and engineering space. This means knowledge and experience with development and engineering products and services is essential. For example, experience with Terraform/ARM/CloudFormation for Orchestration, experience with Ansible/Chef etc for Configuration Management, Gitlab/GitHub/Azure DevOps for CI/CD etc. Our projects use a diverse range of tools and products so depth of knowledge in common abstraction tooling with breadth of knowledge across similar products is essential in providing direction/support and assurance to the team.
- Evolve and define the governance landscape within a project, client and internal environment obtaining both technical and business approval at the appropriate stage to support delivery of the outcomes e.g. TDA, DDA, EAB etc
- Build and sustain strong working relationships with senior technical and delivery individuals within our customer organisations, building trust and advocacy for our services, helping promote us as a ‘go-to’ vendor for technical delivery.
- Influence the way in which the teams works in line with the delivery methodology, coach and mentor more junior colleagues and customer staff whilst providing technical leadership to the team.
- Define and promote opportunities to reuse components and common service patterns, understanding the patterns and interactions on a larger scale across portfolios, programmes and wider government context and how it will impact our portfolio of work.
- Promote technology and vendor agnosticism, whilst making evidence-based decisions when required and thereafter explain those decisions to all levels of both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Make decisions characterised by high levels of risk and complexity. You can recommend decisions as risk and complexity increase. You can
- Carry out technical knowledge transfer outcomes (e.g. handover to clients, mentoring client staff).
- Assure your current project (ensuring we operate efficiently, innovate appropriately, and build a reputation for engineering excellence).
- support pre-sales activity by developing compelling solution approach summaries, high level designs, estimates, presentations, product demonstrations and discussions
- Actively participate in and help lead our Communities of Practice (with emphasis on Cloud and Technical Architecture), including mentoring more junior colleagues
- Actively support recruitment and general management, including interviewing, leading, and mentoring more junior colleagues
Ideal candidates will demonstrate:
- Experience of both consulting and delivery, ideally to or within UK Government departments aligned to digital transformation
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Experience as a Senior Technical Architect or Senior Solution Architect with the government or public sector environment, having delivered through the full DbDSS lifecycle (Discovery, Alpha, Beta(s), Live)
- Experience in defining, evolving and leading the implementation of strategic architecture initiatives following established enterprise and architecture frameworks such as TOGAF, Zachman etc
- Understand the significance of User Research and Service Design and its impact of informing transitional and target state architecture
- Understanding of Value Release Roadmap in the context of architecture and engineering
- Be an advocate of open standards, open source and developing in the open. Have demonstrated experience and examples of doing so
- Experience of working with Agile methodologies (a mix of techniques including Scrum and Kanban, on individual projects and at scale) as part of a multi-skilled multi-disciplinary remote team
- Experience of undertaking a detailed, structured analysis of business, user and technical issues, translating into technical designs that describe a solution with transitional stages and roadmaps managing business and technical risk
- Understanding of cyber security issues and security architecture related to cloud and hybrid platforms within secure and compliance driven environments, namely privacy and security of data and its implications on architecture
- Expert knowledge of 1 or more public and hybrid cloud service providers Amazon Web Services, Azure, Google Cloud and Crown Hosting/On-Premise leveraging Platform/Software/Function as a Service in conjunction with a Micro Service orientated Architecture (MSoA).
- Hands-on experience with one or more modern programming language such as Java, Python, Scala, Go, C++ and/or C#
- Knowledge of modular, reusable configuration management and Infrastructure as Code tooling and principles
- Experience setting up build pipelines, automated deployments, etc with CI/CD tools using GitFlow or a similar scale out workflow strategy
- Experience with automated testing, test-driven development and/or behaviour-driven development leveraging the Agile Testing Framework
Methods is passionate about its people; we want our colleagues to develop the things they are good at and enjoy.
By joining us you can expect
- Autonomy to develop and grow your skills and experience
- Be part of exciting project work that is making a difference in society
- Strong, inspiring and thought-provoking leadership
- A supportive and collaborative environment
As well as this, we offer:
Development access to LinkedIn Learning, a management development programme and training
Wellness 24/7 Confidential employee assistance programme
Social - office parties, pizza Friday and commitment to charitable causes
Time off 25 days a year
Pension Salary Exchange Scheme with 4% employer contribution and 5% employee contribution
Discretionary Company Bonus based on company and individual performance
Life Assurance of 4 times base salary
Private Medical Insurance which is non-contributory (spouse and dependants included)
Worldwide Travel Insurance which is non-contributory (spouse and dependants included)