What to expect as the Legal Counsel at GraphAware?
The market for graph technologies is doubling every year. GraphAware has already been a major player in the industry during recent years. Not only for being the no.1 Neo4j partner globally, but also for developing its own product HUME, which is the only graph-powered insights engine in the world. This puts GraphAware five years ahead of other industry players. HUME can take GraphAware from a $5M to $100M company in 10 years (market potential validated by Gartner, Forrester, and others). This also brings new commercial and legal challenges and we are looking for a strong and talented commercial lawyer, versed in English law, who is looking to greatly enrich his/her experience in a fast growing business and to find the feeling of belonging with a company.
As the in-house Legal Counsel, you are one of the key players on the team, whose responsibility is to build the internal legal function and ensure that the company follows law guidelines and that the management has a sufficient amount of legal advice about all relevant issues. Our Legal Counsel is effectively responsible for legal conformity and mitigating risks related to the legal and compliance area.
Are you the one? To become a successful Legal Counsel at GraphAware, you should first answer YES to all of the following questions, which deeply reflect our values:
- Are you someone who constantly strives for excellence?
- Do you take ownership of your work as well as the work of your team?
- When you see a colleague struggling, do you jump in and help out?
- Do you want to make a real difference and influence the success of the company you work for?
Agreed to all the above? Then keep reading.
As the Legal Counsel, you will directly report to the Finance Director. You will drive and oversee all legal efforts to ensure compliance across all aspects of the business. You need to be able to review complex agreements and ensure that the company is protected and follows the correct steps at all times. Your responsibility is to identify where improvements can be made and consequently take actions to maintain continuous legal conformity of the company. As the Legal Counsel at GraphAware, you are one of the key players of the team and as such cooperate closely with the management as well as team members from other functions to streamline the efforts towards common goals. You also communicate with other external parties and other lawyers. The ultimate goal is to manage the rapid growth of the company and its ambitious plans from the legal perspective and make sure that we reach where we aim to.
Do you need more details on the responsibilities and prefer reading bullet points?
- Legal Strategy & Function
- Monitor the legal landscape within the industry, keep abreast and take actions when needed
- Contribute to the strategic decision making process from a legal perspective
- Setting up an internal legal function (agenda, processes, systems, environment)
- Legal Agreements
- Review and improve legal agreements such as software licence, partnership agreements, consultancy services, independent contractors, NDAs
- Prepare and continuously improve legal templates
- Participate in negotiations of individual deals with different counter-parties
- Compliance and Risk Management
- Manage compliance areas within the company such as GDPR, export laws, etc.
- Mitigate legal risks in all aspects of the business
- Analyze internal processes from the legal point of view and ensure their full compliance (sales process, hiring, contract management, etc.)
- Internal and External Communications
- Work closely with the management team and other team members to streamline their efforts from the legal perspective and ensure their proper awareness
- Communicate with relevant external parties, especially external lawyers working on specific topics
If you want to succeed, we believe you need to have the following skills/background:
To perform and understand the core aspects of the job:
- Master Degree in the English commercial law or relevant fields
- Experience with software licensing, intellectual property and partnership transactions
- Experience in international transactions and environments
- Proven record of active participation and/or management of different legal/compliance projects
- Minimum 5 years of relevant legal work experience
- Experience in working in a fast-paced environment
To fit the profile and possess the soft skills we are looking for
- Excellent English communication skills are a must
- Attention to detail
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to look at transactions from business point of view and assess real business risks
- Strong sense of ownership and responsibility
- Ability to break down bigger tasks into smaller chunks in order to tackle them effectively
- Proactivity and drive, coming up with new ideas
- “Can-do” and “Get-it-done” attitude; Agile approach to problem-solving
- Confident in communicating with different parties
- Profound understanding of different communication styles and cultural differences
What We Offer
We offer a great opportunity to play an important role in a global technology company with a very unique company culture and to participate in the evolution of a product that is competing with big names. HUME is already being used by very important companies in multiple industries. We are currently entering a new era in the life of the company with great challenges ahead of us.
Benefits of working with us:
- Actively influence the growth of the company and how we do things
- Supportive and low-overhead management culture
- Appreciation and encouragement for taking initiative and creativity
- Professional and personal growth
- Flexibility to balance your personal life and work
- Fun environment and great office culture
- Competitive remuneration
Who We Are
GraphAware was founded in 2013 to help organisations gain competitive edge through the application of graph technologies. Our own product called GraphAware HUME is used by analysts, data scientists, and data-savvy business users all around the world to keep countries and communities safe, combat financial fraud, discover new medicines, advise important policymaking, and much much more. We also help clients implement their own solutions based on HUME and Neo4j - the most popular graph database on the market - by providing consulting, training, and software development services.
We are a multinational, multicultural team of experts, who specialize in software, databases, graph theory, and machine learning. Our culture is that of a small company but our plans are super ambitious. We are passionate about graphs and driven by customer success. Sense of ownership and striving for excellence is the norm at GraphAware. In times of trouble, we have each other's back. We love seeing our colleagues grow professionally and support their careers in the direction of their desire.
Job Location: Ideally in Prague but the job is open to candidates from anywhere in Europe
Flexibility: Option to work remotely/from home
Type of Contract: Employee or Contractor (depending on the location and/or preference)
Work Schedule: Part time or Full time
KeyWords: English law, compliance, risk management, legal counsel