As digital assets and cryptocurrency become more widely adopted every day,, our products are essential to ensure cryptocurrency is safe and accessible to all. Our solutions help to prevent financial crime and allow cryptocurrencies to be used for good. Our products are used by some of the world’s leading cryptocurrency exchanges, financial institutions and government agencies to screen over $1 billion of transactions every single week.
Elliptic is backed by some of the top VCs: SBI Group, Albion VC, Octopus Ventures, SignalFire, Paladin Capital, Santander InnoVentures, and Digital Currency Group, and we have grown globally with teams in the UK, USA, Singapore and Tokyo.
To achieve our mission, we depend on our incredible team of Elliptites. Our values are reflected in everything we do and every decision we make, both internally and outwardly to our customers. We actively encourage Elliptities to challenge the status quo and allow the freedom to innovate and learn every day. We encourage new ideas and learning, whether that’s through collaboration, our curiosity sessions, or utilising your professional development budget - personal growth is important to us all.
About the role:
Elliptic are looking for an ambitious and agile lawyer to build our in house Legal and Compliance capabilities. This is a critical role in helping to build the company - helping commercial teams drive growth, shaping the way we manage our legal risks, and supporting commercial development.
You will own Elliptic’s legal approach globally. You will need to take a pragmatic view that balances growth opportunities and management of risks, which will impact our customers, partners and team. You will cover the full range of corporate, commercial and employment issues, will know when to back yourself and when to ask an expert, and will thrive in a highly driven and collaborative environment.
What you will do:
- Be the owner for Elliptic’s Legal team, and global approach to management of all legal and compliance issues
- Build a team that can provide all legal and compliance support for a SAAS business that is doubling in size every year
- Take ownerships of Elliptic’s key legal requirements:
- Managing Corporate Secretarial activities and corporate legal risk
- Owning our legal contractracting processes, working with the commercial teams to achieve the right balance of flexibility and risk management
- Support the people team with advice on employment law
- Support company leadership with specific corporate development projects (eg funding / M&A) or advice on critical issues and activities
- Create framework and processes that make it easy for us to deal with legal issues and complex contracting at scale
- Implement the framework to ensure that Elliptic complies with all legal, policy, risk management and compliance requirements
- Because you need to work across a wide range of areas, you will need to have great awareness of where you are the expert, and when another opinion is require
You will be a great fit here if you:
- Are a qualified lawyer
- Have worked in an in-house legal team across a range of different subjects
- Are a great leader and manager, and have built successful teams before
- Have an ability to prioritise and adapt in a fast-moving environment
- Have significant commercial experience, including negotiating with supplier and customer legal teams, including with large Financial Services firms
- Are familiar with SAAS contracts, intellectual property and data protection law
- Are confident to know when to make pragmatic judgements and when to dive deep into the detail
- Can manage multiple expert external counsel
- Enjoy working in an open and collaborative environment
- Have started something from scratch
- Are happy to both ‘lead’ and ‘do’ at different times
- Have experience of successfully managing and developing people
- Have worked in a scale-up environment
- Share options
- Private health insurance
- Strong focus on personal development, with $1,000 per annum personal training budget & LinkedIn Learning subscription
- Collaborative, flexible and friendly environment: We understand that flexibility is the key to maintaining a healthy work-life balance, especially at the moment. We’re working remotely right now and are carefully considering our strategy for remote working in the longer term
- Social events, which include monthly team lunch on us, quarterly full day events and an annual company 3-day event - this year these are taking place virtually
- Enhanced parental leave; we provide eligible employees, regardless of gender or whether they become a parent by birth or adoption, 16 weeks fully-paid leave and job-protected leave.