Trala is a tech-powered online music school. Our mission is to make world-class music education accessible to every single person on Earth.
Right now, private music lessons are so expensive that the joy of music is available only to the rich and suburban. Imagine instead a world where all 4 billion people who will pick up an instrument in the next 30 years could get a world-class education. Imagine how much more music and joy there would be in the world. That is the future we’re obsessed with creating.
Our first product, Trala: Learn Violin, is a mobile app that teaches anyone how to play violin. We do this using movie-quality tutorial videos featuring diverse violinists, signal processing that listens to students play their real violins and gives instant feedback on every mistake, and a curriculum that prioritizes accessibility and diversity. This is crazy-hard and requires us to solve novel problems in signal processing, app design, user psychology, and education theory.
Over the last 3 years, we have organically grown Trala to 400,000 downloads, students in 193 countries, and support from some of the most famous musicians in the world. Our students are ages 7 to 70 and live in Kansas City, Montreal, Victoria, Tehran, and our hometown of Chicago. They’re not businesses or governments, they’re people. They’ve dreamt of learning violin for years and we’re fulfilling those dreams.
We’re updating our visual brand to better reflect Trala’s students: adults with busy schedules, rural students who don’t have access to a music school in their community, and everyone who’s been turned away by the gatekeeping and biases of traditional music ed. That’s where you come in. You’ll create branding and visual assets that tell the story behind our school and encourage prospective students to start (or return to) their violin journey.
As Trala’s Brand Designer, you’ll shape students’ first impression of the Trala School of Music. Reporting to Trala’s Head of Marketing and working closely with Trala’s Community Manager, you’ll create visual assets and holistic designs for email, social media, and web content that encourages aspiring violinists to pursue their musical dreams and interests - regardless of genre or experience level.
This job is right for you if you have 2+ years of graphic design experience and you:
- Design from a place of empathy. You take a human-centered approach to everything you design. You have a track record of using photos, illustrations, and videos to educate, inspire, and help people.
- Take creative risks. You take big swings with your designs. You prefer to try something exciting and new rather than fall back on what’s worked in the past.
- Can communicate just as well as you design. You can confidently talk through design solutions, receive feedback, and build team buy-in for your wildest ideas.
- Have excellent project and time management skills. You’re organized and flexible. You don’t sweat a deadline, and you’re comfortable with change.
- Are skilled in Webflow and HTML. You can create and maintain landing pages in Webflow and build beautiful HTML emails.
- Translate complex concepts into engaging visuals that tell stories and enhance meaning
- Use Webflow to design clear, compelling landing pages
- Build infographics and videos that answer big questions like “How does signal processing work?” and “How do I hold a violin bow?”
- Collaborate with Trala’s Community Manager to tell multimedia stories of student success
- Develop, maintain, and iterate upon design standards that span Trala’s marketing efforts
- Create and continuously refine email and landing page templates that streamline marketing activities
- Design and rapidly iterate on performance marketing assets
- Create delightful marketing and sales collateral including branded clothing, posters, banners, and flyers
- Depending on the right candidate, this could be a part-time 20 hours/week position, ideal for a freelance designer. This could also be a salaried role with medical/dental/vision benefits. When applying, please state your preference for full time or part time employment in your cover letter.
- This job can be fully remote for US-based candidates. If you’re based in Chicago, you’re welcome (but not required) to join us in our West Loop office.
- Trala is a close-knit team that’s committed to lifelong learning. You’ll make a big impact on our school, iterate quickly, and grow faster than you would anywhere else.
- Trala deeply impacts peoples’ lives all across the world. You’ll help our students fulfill their dreams and build a meaningful community.
- Trala is funded by amazing people like the CEOs of LinkedIn and Duolingo. These folks are leaders in education & growth and mentor our team. They’ll be your mentors too.
- Trala prioritizes diversity, inclusion, and righting economic and social wrongs. We strive to make our corner of the world a better place.
- You’ll be paid well and work with people who are the best at what they do.
Read up about our team at https://trala.com/about