UX / UI DesignerAt DHIS2
CET Timezone +/- 2 hours
We are a well-funded not-for-profit project tasked with building the open-source DHIS2 platform, the world’s most widely-deployed health information system. The project is based at the Health Information Systems Programme (HISP) at the University of Oslo (UiO) where we operate as an independent software development organization.
With us you get a chance to work on problems which really matter: Improving the health and well-being of people around the world through access and use of information. Our platform is used in more than 90 countries worldwide and has the scale and adoption which will allow you to make an impact globally.
We give you a lot of flexibility and freedom and there is no micro-management or strict hierarchies. At DHIS2 we believe you will do your best work if you fully understand the context in which the system operates. As a result you are encouraged to engage directly with our projects, take part in the design process and get feedback from users in the field.
DHIS2 is hiring a mid- to senior-level designer for our global team. This is a full-time position on a 1-year renewable contract, with the option to work remotely or from Oslo, Norway
About this role
As a designer at DHIS2, you'll work across the whole DHIS2 ecosystem: 20+ core applications, the application platform, design systems, documentation and more. You'll contribute directly to the positive impact of DHIS2 as a Global Public Good.
What you'll do
- Design application interfaces and user experiences, working in all phases of the product development process.
- Create solutions that adapt to the real-world requirements of a global platform.
- Work with and contribute to the DHIS2 Design System.
- Take ownership of your design process, following features and improvements from idea to implementation.
- Collaborate regularly with the engineering and implementation teams.
- Use a varied toolbox to solve design problems: sketches, prototypes, visuals, diagrams, written documents.
- Communicate and document solutions clearly and effectively.
- Become a valuable part of the Design Team contributing to the design direction of DHIS2.
- Several years of professional experience designing complex applications — this role isn't well suited to people just starting their design careers.
- Strong visual design skills and an understanding of UX principles – you'll be designing how applications work and how they look.
- Excellent written and verbal English communication — you'll be communicating your solutions and collaborating with others every day.
- Familiarity with web technologies and limitations — you'll be working closely with engineering teams to build realistic, stable solutions.
- The ability to work with and contribute to designs systems — the DHIS2 Design System informs all our design work and is constantly evolving.
- A keenness to take ownership of your design process — as the second designer joining DHIS2 you'll be expected, with support from our Design Lead, to work with projects at all stages of development.
Location and Employment Details
- You can work remotely or from our office in Oslo, Norway. If working remotely, you'll need to be in the Central European Time Zone +/- 2 hours.
- This is a full-time position on a 1-year renewable contract.
How to apply
If you'd like to apply, your application should include the following:
- a link to your portfolio with examples of real-world application UI and UX design.
- a couple of sentences outlining why you and DHIS2 are a good fit.