Community Support Engineer - Open Source GrafanaAt Grafana
Apply for the Job
About Grafana Labs:
There are more than 700,000 active installations of Grafana around the globe, monitoring everything from beehives to climate change in the Alps. The instantly recognizable dashboards have been spotted everywhere from a SpaceX launch and Minecraft HQ to Wimbledon and the Tour de France. Grafana Labs also helps companies including Bloomberg, JPMorgan Chase, and eBay manage their observability strategies with full-stack offerings that can be run fully managed with Grafana Cloud, or self-managed with Grafana Enterprise Stack. The Grafana stack has grown to include two other open-source projects, Grafana Loki (for logs) and Grafana Tempo (for traces)
You would be joining the Grafana Community team but would also be working closely with our engineers on other Grafana teams. Our engineers are heavily involved in community work and answer issues on GitHub and review pull requests. The Community team also focuses on documentation and tutorials and other ways of supporting the large Grafana community.
We are looking for a community support engineer to work on supporting the open source community for Grafana. The person in this role would be on the front line interacting with our community every day answering their questions, diagnosing their issues or directing the questions to a team member who can help. This is a relatively new role in the team and you would be the second support engineer to work with open source Grafana and its community.
GitHub is at the heart of our open source work and the support engineer would work closely with the Grafana teams to improve our response times, flesh out bug reports from our community and carry out investigations. You will also be working with engineers to improve the tooling and working together with our technical writers to improve the documentation.
This is also a great opportunity to become a software engineer and learn on the job. You will become experienced at using Git, GitHub and at interacting with the open source community. It would be a natural progression to go from diagnosing and investigating issues to implementing bug fixes and small features. In this role, you will have the opportunity to shadow experienced engineers and get help from them.
- Strong interest in analyzing and solving problems to help others.
- You enjoy being part of the community. Community is part of our core, and interacting with the community will be a large part of your day.
- You are eager to learn and grow. The range of technologies that are involved when diagnosing issues with Grafana can be very broad.
- You will need to learn new technologies as well as becoming a Grafana expert.
- Good communicator with lots of patience. You will be interacting with people from all over the world with varying levels of experience with Grafana and varying levels of English.
- Organized, driven, and collaborative. You will need to help manage the entire lifecycle of an issue and follow up with the Grafana teams to ensure issues are resolved.
Within month 1 you will:
- Learn how to use Grafana and research how to solve common user problems.
- Answer questions from the open source community and help them get started with Grafana.
- Shadow engineers on issue triage and learn how to interact with the open source community on GitHub.
- Learn how to use Git
- Interact daily with the Grafana open source community and learn about open source conventions in areas like how to submit issues and pull requests
Within 3 months you will:
- Work with bug reporters to flesh out GitHub issues before passing on to second line support (Grafana engineers).
- Learn more about the Grafana ecosystem: how to write database queries for the main time series databases (like Prometheus and InfluxDB) and how to set up a monitoring stack with Grafana as the UI layer.
- Shadow engineers to learn how they fix reported bugs.
- Write technical documentation to plug gaps that users report.
- Investigate bug reports on GitHub and then diagnose the problem by replicating the reporting user’s setup.
Within 6 months you will:
- Take your bug investigations one step further and resolve bugs by writing code.
- Triage issues and route urgent bug reports to the appropriate team.
- Make process improvement suggestions so that our open source community gets faster and better responses to their questions and issues
- Identify improvements we can make to Grafana and our documentation to reduce the number of questions we get on our community site
At our core Grafana Labs is an open company. We believe that open source is the superior way to build and deliver software. We also believe in being open and transparent with our employees. We believe that transparency breeds trust and that trust is the foundation of great teamwork. We actively seek to break down silos, empower employees with information and allow people to “see the whole picture”. This transparency extends to our strategy, our financials, our successes and failures. We empower our team to make their own decisions and trust that they will try to do the right thing. We are a remote first team. Our three founders are on three different continents and our team of 200+ global employees are based in over 36 different countries. Hiring remotely unlocks the broadest, most diverse, most talented pool of potential employees. It also means that we have built our culture around a flexible and autonomous work environment based on trust.
Equal Opportunity Employer- At Grafana Labs we’re building a company where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, stay, and do their best work. We know that our company runs on the hard work and the dedication of our passionate and creative employees.
We will recruit, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, disability, age, veteran status, and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different and unique. We believe that equality and diversity builds a strong organisation and we’re working hard to make sure that’s the foundation of our organisation as we grow.