Director of Business DataAt Grafana
Apply for the Job
About Grafana Labs:
There are more than 700,000 active installations of Grafana around the globe, monitoring everything from beehives to climate change in the Alps. The instantly recognizable dashboards have been spotted everywhere from a SpaceX launch and Minecraft HQ to Wimbledon and the Tour de France. Grafana Labs also helps companies including Bloomberg, JPMorgan Chase, and eBay manage their observability strategies with full-stack offerings that can be run fully managed with Grafana Cloud, or self-managed with Grafana Enterprise Stack. The Grafana stack has grown to include two other open-source projects, Grafana Loki (for logs) and Grafana Tempo (for traces)
The Director of Business Data will be responsible for the Data team that will empower analysts and data-driven stakeholders by owning the architecture and infrastructure by which we ingest, transform, test, document, and connect data across Grafana Labs. You will be tasked with building and maintaining a central data stack that the most critical parts of Grafana utilize. You will be responsible for establishing, implementing, and maintaining an organization-wide data governance program designed to ensure the quality, accuracy, integrity, availability and security of business data. You have a passion for data and are able to see the bigger picture. Critical to the success of this role will be consistent communication with stakeholders (analysts & business partners) in order to build a data stack that is flexible enough to meet the needs of our business as we grow.
- Build a centralized Data team to enable distributed analysts to drive insights.
- Hire and mentor a team of data engineers as a player-coach
- Data Infrastructure / Aggregation & pipelines: Own, operate, and maintain the architecture & infrastructure of our data stack (e.g. BigQuery, dbt, Fivetran)
- Manage ingestion with tooling (FiveTran) or custom pipelines
- Connect warehouse data back out across Grafana (Salesforce, Zendesk, etc.)
- Build infrastructure for open source tooling (scheduling, CI/CD, serve documentation) BigQuery optimization (cost & performance)
- Data Governance / Standardization
- Partner with finance, revenue operations, and other stakeholders to standardize key definitions and provide sources of truth
- Build trust in our data via version control, testing, and documentation
- Review and manage contributions to dbt github
- Partner with Legal/Security to implement and manage data access controls (Material Financial Data, GDPR, etc.)
- Analytics Enablement / Empower data stakeholders
- Share best practices with data stakeholders (Grafana dashboarding, ad-hoc analysis)
- Translate business logic to develop new KPIs Serve as data experts and advocates
- Assist on cross-functional special projects/analysis
- Ensure that the data we need to understand and serve our stakeholders is available, accurate, and accessible
- Empower Grafanistas to make timely, impactful, and data-driven decisions that are integral to the success of our business
- Partner with GTM, Self-serve, Marketing, Finance, and Bizapps (and other stakeholders) to understand their data needs and identify places where the analytics stack can improve on what they’re doing
- Become the go-to expert on our data pipeline, data tools, and what our data means
- Create process and standard operating procedures for the Data team
- 5-7 years experience contributing to data modeling
- 5-7 years experience in developing dashboards and visualizations
- 5-7 years experience with test design and analysis, preferably in the high tech industry
- 3-5 years experience of managing a team
- A passion for understanding business questions and making data-driven insights. Excellent analytical skills.
- Be able to understand the business at a level to influence VP priorities and company strategy.
- Consistent track record of using quantitative analysis to impact key business decisions
- Ability to present data concisely through written and oral communication. Expert at influencing business stakeholders
- BS degree in Mathematics, Engineering, Statistics or relevant degree
- Experience working in cloud environments such as AWS, GCP is a plus!
- Familiarity with the monitoring, observability, log aggregation, or APM market is a plus!
What you’ll bring to the role
- Strong analytical, data processing, and problem-solving skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Strong verbal and written communications skills with the ability to effectively communicate with all levels of employees and provide support globally
- Experience implementing best practices for analytics, dashboarding, documentation, testing
- Experience building collaboration and rapport within an organization with both technical and non-technical members
- Experience working in a “remote first” environment
- Empathetic, understanding, and humble
- Strong work ethic
- Experience working well in both a team environment and independently
- Inquisitive demeanor with a willingness to learn new technologies and responsibilities
Equal Opportunity Employer- At Grafana Labs we’re building a company where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, stay, and do their best work. We know that our company runs on the hard work and the dedication of our passionate and creative employees.
We will recruit, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, disability, age, veteran status, and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different and unique. We believe that equality and diversity builds a strong organisation and we’re working hard to make sure that’s the foundation of our organisation as we grow.
Recent Job Postings
- Sherbet: Senior Full Stack Developer
- Plato: Founding Engineer
- Principal Backend Engineer at Cribl () (allows remote)
- Dondich Coaching: Full-Stack Laravel Developer for Multiple Web Based Products
- Crazy Egg: Elixir/Ruby 🧠 Backend Engineer - Solving challenging problems 💪 in a team environment you'll ❤️
- SQUAKE.earth GmbH: Senior Backend Developer (Ruby)
- Quality Assurance Automation Engineer
- Senior Product Manager Draft
- Executive Assistant - Business Operations
- Head of Product