Staff Engineer - Knowledge Graph Content and CapabilitiesAt Olive
The role of a staff engineer is to oversee and drive the technical capabilities of a key area, usually comprising multiple teams’ worth of focus. The engineering teams within Deep Purple are building out Olive’s Knowledge Graph, which will make her the SME in healthcare automation and hypercharge the Internet of Healthcare. Ensuring that our knowledge graph is dense, always available, designed with end-users in mind, and continually meeting the ever-expanding areas of coverage is the primary charge for the Staff Engineer - Knowledge Graph Content and Capabilities in Deep Purple. This role will be responsible for growing our knowledge graph’s coverage of all data within Olive so that all internal applications and external developers can build on top of our graph via APIs and GraphQL, while still supporting the research and analytics efforts that require densely linked data.
As a cross-functional resource, the Staff Engineer will have the opportunity to work on the problems where they are needed most, whether that is with an existing project or cutting a path for something new. In general, the Staff Engineer should be a force multiplier, both in their delivery and how they elevate the other engineers in the department.
- Oversee and guide the design, development, and evolution of our knowledge graph ecosystem
- Coordinate with Product and Engineering leadership to identify both the long term and short term needs of the knowledge graph
- Create and participate in engineering build plans that will enable the Olive Knowledge Graph to meet product requirements (e.g. specific application support; Developer Platform empowerment; identity resolution; etc.)
- Ensure the stability of the KG Developer Platform by architecting our knowledge graph in such a way that enables easy, broad usage (via APIs and GraphQL) and graph pattern standardization
- Establish key metrics and benchmarks for system performance
- Continually drive our engineering standards (code reuse, documentation, testing, etc.) and levels of service forward
- Mentor and grow the engineering skills of all contributors to the Olive Knowledge Graph, both via example and by creating new standards for development best practices
- Function as a trailblazer for new ideas in the overall graph ecosystem, at times creating complete POCs to test out potential innovations for viability
- General Staff Software Engineer Duties:
- Cultivate innovation by driving cross-collaboration and execution of projects across multiple teams.
- Lead designs of major software components, systems, and features.
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve the software.
- Manage individual projects priorities, deadlines and deliverables with your technical expertise.
- Mentor and train other team members on design techniques, and coding standards.
- Experience in building complex, highly scalable software systems
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or relevant equivalent experience
- 6+ years of relevant programming experience
- Deep knowledge of systems engineering, distributed architecture, and linked data structures and algorithms
- Experience in the development of highly maintainable and reliable code using practices such as unit testing, integration testing, proper code documentation, and appropriate logging
- Strong communication, critical thinking, and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated understanding of fundamentals engineering concepts
- Knowledge of software and application design and architecture
- Experience with public cloud computing - AWS preferred
- Knowledge of graph data stores, graph access patterns, and growing large graph-backed software systems to massive scale
- Knowledge of RDF semantic graphs a strong positive for this role
At Olive, we're committed to growing and empowering an inclusive community within our company and industry. This is why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of the best and brightest from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives across our organization. Research shows that oftentimes women and other minority groups only apply to open roles if they meet 100% of the listed criteria. Olive encourages everyone — including women, people of color, individuals with disabilities and those in the LGBTQIA+ community — to apply for our available positions, even if they don't necessarily check every box on the job description.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned.
This job description does not constitute a contract of employment and Olive AI, Inc. may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time.