Senior AccountantAt Oregon Shakespeare Festival
All OSF employees are expected to understand and embrace our mission statement, in particular how it is reflected in our commitment to respect and represent diverse ideas, races, genders, sexualities, abilities, cultures, religions, and traditions- on stage and off. OSF company members work in a manner that is consistent with this commitment and work to interrupt behaviors that hinder our diversity and inclusion efforts.
The Senior Accountant will provide process and analytical support to the Director of Finance and work closely with Finance staff members and key department managers in understanding and controlling costs through the ongoing review and analysis of operating expense budgets. Performs analysis of ongoing operations and variances, budget to actual analysis, and identifying areas for improvement. Participates in the review of monthly close and forecasting processes. Participate in ongoing capital planning requirement discussions monthly for operations with formally submitting the capital plan for an annual review. Also provides project support for analysis and implementation of new software related to HR and Payroll reporting.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare and record monthly closing entries and work papers in a timely and efficient manner for all areas of financial reporting.
- Analyze and reconcile monthly and annual variances between arts enterprise software and financial reporting software, and resolving discrepancies.
- Serve as a communication link to ensure consistency in reporting in all elements of financial/capital planning and actual results. Help highlight and facilitate resolution of issues between functional areas.
- Assists all levels of management in analyzing and understanding actual costs and variances through the creation and maintenance of periodic reports and the preparation of budget to actual statements.
- Recommends action to improve overall performance. Identify financial issues and make recommendations to resolve them. Ensures the integrity of accounting information by recording, verifying, consolidating, and entering transactions.
- Prepare special project analyses for various project management teams as needed.
- Avoids legal challenges by complying with legal requirements
- Attends Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion, (ED&I) sexual harassment, and any other anti-bias training and workshops as scheduled by the institution.
- Model and support the mission and values of OSF.
- Other duties that Director of Finance assign
** To comply with regulations by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the principal duties in job descriptions must be essential to the job. To identify essential functions, focus on the purpose and the result of the duties rather than the manner in which they are performed. The following definition applies: a job function is essential if removal of that function would fundamentally change the job.
Supervision Received:Supervised and reports to Director of Finance
Supervision Exercised: Supervision over data-entry positions in the Finance Department
Minimum Qualifications & Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree with college courses in accounting, finance, business, or relevant.
- In lieu of a Bachelor’s Degree, candidates may substitute 6 years of experience and must understand: accounting principles, accounting terms, have used accounting programs, and be able to read, understand and develop financial analysis reports and financial statements.
- Must have experience preparing journal entries and reports
- Intermediate to advanced computer literacy, including experience in word processing, spreadsheets, and accounting software
- The high degree of accuracy and accountability
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, set priorities, and see projects through to completion
- Proficient communication skills, both written and verbal required.
- Advanced MS Excel skills including Vlookups and pivot tables and able to import and export data into/from the software program.
- Thorough understanding of financial application security ensuring that all financial data is secure and complies with confidentiality policies.
- Demonstrated ability to support all other departments within the company.
Physical Ability: Able to sit at a desk and work with a computer for extended periods of time. Occasionally lift and carry boxes weighing up to 40 pounds.
Other Skills, Ability and/or Knowledge: Self-motivated and maintains success in both an office environment and remote working. Ability to pass and maintain a clear background check.
Preferred Qualifications & Skills:
Knowledge of Blackbaud or equivalent software.
Relevant certification (e.g. CMA or CPA)
Nonprofit and Governmental work experience
Amazing health, dental, and vision coverage; 403b retirement plan, STD/LTD & Basic Life Insurance; paid vacation and sick time; paid parental leave; local discounts from stores & restaurants; tickets for our shows.
Pay Range: $70K- $75K/annually
OSF is committed to creating an equitable, inclusive and accessible environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We have a clear vision to be the place where Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access build the foundation for talented people. Women, non-gender-binary/trans individuals, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color), and people with disabilities are STRONGLY encouraged to apply! Please join us as we shift the narrative and grow our organization into a true representation of Inclusion.