Staff Software Engineer at Root Insurance Company (Columbus, OH) (allows remote)At Root Insurance Company
The engineering team at Root strives to be one of the most transformative engineering teams ever. We’re changing the way an industry works by leveraging technology and data to build the best products possible. Even with our significant growth, we operate in small teams that are given ownership over projects and results. We’ve found that the people closest to the problems are the best at solving them.
Remote employees must be located in the United States are expected to work either Eastern or Central timezone hours.
We’re scaling rapidly, and we recently launched a $6B IPO: https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/root-insurance-ipo-poised-to-disrupt-the-insurance-market-2020-10-30
Our team excels at delivering software to solve the problems in front of us at Root: presently, a suite of world-class mobile, web, and server-based products obsessed with the customer experience. We’ve shaped our team and process around this; we know that constant iteration and experimentation produce the best results. For more information on engineering at Root see root.engineering
Staff Engineers at Root are our most trusted technical experts. They work across multiple teams of engineers to set and coordinate technical direction. Staff Engineers facilitate the delivery of large projects and features by helping design solutions, pair programming with other engineers, contributing to code review and by writing code themselves. They help strengthen the technical prowess of the entire engineering organization by mentoring and growing the engineers around them. We divide the areas of responsibility for engineers into three major areas:
Technical: The skills and knowledge that make up an engineer’s basic problem-solving toolbox.
Planning and Execution: The ability to plan and execute assigned work beyond basic technical solutions. Working with Others: The ability to work effectively with other engineers and people in other functions. Scope of Impact Multiple Teams, Large Initiatives, or Company What we look for in Staff Software Engineers:
- Deep understanding of technologies used in our stack, client-server architecture, and web technologies
- Ability to architect complex, high-scale web applications and data solutions
- Incorporates testing and thinks about reliability as a natural part of delivering working software
- Experienced with several programming paradigms
- Expert-level knowledge of databases, SQL, and version control tools
- Thorough understanding of infrastructure and devops
Planning and Execution
- Plans and completes large and complex multi-person or multi-team projects
- Foresees issues and requirements for large projects and features
- Thinks critically about work to guarantee business functionality. Internalizes business goals in their technical decision making.
- Can break down large initiatives into incrementally implementable deliverables and coordinate them across multiple engineers and teams
Working with Others
- Provides effective and accurate technical feedback in code reviews
- Able to work across teams to tackle complex issues
- Mentors and grows the engineers around them
- Works with product owners, analysts and other functions to move company’s priorities forward