Backend Software EngineerAt Scribd
Apply for the Job
At Scribd (pronounced “scribbed”), we believe reading is more important than ever. Join our cast of characters as we work to change the way the world reads by building the world’s largest and most fascinating digital library: giving subscribers access to a growing collection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, documents, Scribd Originals, and more. In addition to works from major publishers and top authors, our community includes over 1.5M subscribers in nearly every country worldwide.
SlideShare, a Scribd company, helps professionals:
Learn faster and smarter on the topics they care most about by connecting them to bite-sized insights and knowledge from top experts. Share their insights and knowledge to become thought leaders by giving them a platform of 80M+ professionals.
About the Team:
Scribd is in search of a Backend Software Engineer for the SlideShare engineering team to work on the ground floor of revitalizing SlideShare and to find ways of bringing the value of Scribd to SlideShare users. We continually strive for inclusivity and strongly value diversity. We recognize that everyone has a unique set of work and life experiences, and believe that a broader set of perspectives will produce better results for all. Each day provides both opportunities to perform and opportunities to learn. We support others' growth and celebrate our collective achievements.
As a Backend Software Engineer, software development and delivery will be your primary function, but we'll expect you to contribute in a number of ways, including creating or reviewing technical designs, participating in interviews, reviewing code, and mentoring fellow engineers. When you are doing software development, you'll be doing more than just coding a ticket handed to you. You'll own the design, implementation, and delivery. Throughout the development process, you'll consider the testability, scalability, and observability of the applications you're building.
- 3+ years experience coding in modern consumer-facing web applications
- An appetite to learn and grow professionally
- Strong written and verbal communication skills (we're remote!)
- Passion for back-end engineering
- A desire to continuously improve the quality of the applications you work on.
- Understanding of RESTful API design
- Knowledge of database design best practices for high throughput applications
- Experience working with large-scale distributed systems
- A focus on creating value for our customers
- Implement integrations between the Scribd and SlideShare properties
- Work closely with product and front-end engineers to implement features
- Improve a product used by 250 million people every month
- Help define the application architecture to improve team velocitySimplify and streamline the current development environment
- Have a broad impact on the future and direction of the product
Benefits, Perks, and Wellbeing at Scribd
• Healthcare Benefits: Scribd pays 100% of employee’s Medical, Vision, and Dental premiums and 70% of dependents
• Leaves: Paid parental leave, 100% company paid short-term/long-term disability plans and milestone Sabbaticals
• 401k plan through Fidelity, plus company matching with no vesting period
• Equity - Every employee is an owner in Scribd!
• Generous Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Flexible Sick Time, Volunteer Day + office closure between Christmas Eve and New Years Day
• Referral bonuses
• Professional development: generous annual budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
• Company-wide Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion programs which include learning & development opportunities, employee resource groups, and hiring best practices.
• Learning & Development and Coaching programs
• Monthly Wellness, Connectivity & Comfort Benefit
• Concern mental health digital platform
• Work-life balance flexibility
• Company events + Scribdchats
• Free subscription to Scribd + gift memberships for friends & family
Want to learn more? Check out our office and meet some of the team at www.linkedin.com/company/scribd/life
Scribd is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.
Recent Job Postings
- Engineering Productivity, DevOp at Enfabrica (Mountain View, CA) (allows remote)
- The Ops Authority: Digital Marketing Lead
- Clevertech: Google Ads Manager
- Clevertech: Culture Development Specialist
- Clevertech: Communications Specialist
- Clevertech: Producer
- Sr. Data Engineer at StyleSeat () (allows remote)
- Senior Fullstack Engineer (Python/Django/React)- #12 of Top-100 Marketplaces at StyleSeat () (allows remote)
- Senior Data Scientist at StyleSeat () (allows remote)
- UX Engineer at Pinnacle 21 () (allows remote)