Power System EngineerAt Smart Wires
Do you want to make a positive impact? Are you interested in helping us achieve our vision of a highly efficient grid that powers a cleaner planet? Do you want to work in a collaborative environment surrounded by colleagues who are creative, focused and mission-driven? If so, read on to see if this might be the job you have been dreaming about.
Smart Wires is reimagining the grid. With our innovative technology and advanced analytics, we maximize the grid’s capacity. This means more renewables, at a lower cost and with less disruption to communities and the environment. We collaborate with our customers to achieve their strategic objectives and help them face an uncertain energy future with flexible, high-impact solutions.
With commitment to accelerating the energy transition, we are determined to achieve our mission to advance the delivery of affordable, clean electricity around the world. Come join our team!
Smart Wires is currently looking for a US-based Power System Engineer to join our international Analytics & Controls team.
Power System Engineers report to the Director of Analytics. This role will also provide technical support to the sales team, help identify new market opportunities, participate in new product development and represent Smart Wires at industry events. Qualified candidates are optimistic, energetic, excellent communicators, and thrive when working as part of a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team.
- Create reproducible power-flow, steady-state stability, transient stability, and production-cost studies of the customer transmission network
- Develop FACTS models and tools to facilitate integration of Smart Wires' products into the planning and operations of electrical systems
- Identify and prototype control applications for Smart Wires' technology via customer engagement and participation in ISO, FERC, PUC, ENTSO-E, and other regional and regulatory processes and work with the sales team to realize these applications
- Collaborate with the product development team to improve existing products and develop new products
- Represent Smart Wires at external forums, meetings, and industry events
- Proficient in power system analysis (e.g., PSLF, PSS/e, PowerWorld, PowerFactory, PSCAD, EMTP-RV)
- Proficient in at least one high-level scientific computing language (e.g., Python, R, or Julia)
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Innovative and creative problem solving skills
- Self-motivated and willing to take initiative
- Ability to work collaboratively in remote teams
- Minimum Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering and/or Computer Engineering, preferably with an emphasis in Power Systems and/or Power Electronics
- Minimum 2 years of industry experience
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience with real time simulation (e.g. RTDS) and Hardware-in-the-Loop
- Proficient in at least one compiled computing language (e.g., C, FORTRAN)
- Experience with production cost modeling (e.g., PLEXOS, PROMOD)
- MSc or PhD in Power Systems and/or Power Electronics
- This position is located remotely in the USA, preferably East Coast.
- On-boarding and training will be conducted remotely or in one of our hub-cities (Raleigh, SF Bay Area)—COVID permitting.
Smart Wires team members are required to wear a mask and follow social distancing guidelines while at Smart Wires locations or customer sites. Additional safety precautions may include the use of PPE gear as needed per site requirements.
Smart Wires is a global power technology company advancing the delivery of affordable, clean electricity worldwide. With our innovative technology and advanced analytics, we maximize the grid’s capacity. This means more renewables, at a lower cost and with less disruption to communities and the environment. Smart Wires is headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area, with European headquarters in Dublin, Ireland, and has a global workforce of 200 professionals spread across four continents. Our team collaborates with our customers to achieve their strategic objectives and help them face an uncertain energy future with flexible, high-impact solutions.
Our values guide all aspects of our business, from making strategic decisions to providing our customers with valuable solutions and superior service. We emphasize humility, transparency and focus and empower team members with the tools they need to be successful in their role and achieve the professional development they seek.
- Humility – We’re real people, we’re good people and we’re proud of what we do. Having humility allows us to listen, learn and improve. We seek diverse perspectives and value collaboration. Above all, we are team players, supporting and trusting each other. We know this results in better outcomes for what we aim to achieve as individuals and as a company.
- Transparency – Being authentic, candid and open – with each other and with our suppliers, partners and customers – is essential to accomplishing our goals. Acting with integrity and maintaining honest communication ensures that we are accountable and delivering safe, high-quality solutions.
- Focus – Our pursuit of excellence is more than just words. With passion for technology, our industry and making a difference, we’re laser-focused on delivering greater grid efficiencies and affordable, clean electricity around the world. This requires prioritization and essentialism, ensuring we efficiently and effectively meet our commitments.
**Smart Wires is committed to diversity in our organization and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. Smart Wires complies with applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination and we especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of any skin color, LGBTQ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.**