Senior-level software engineers at FreeAgent have the experience and technical expertise required to build well-tested, scalable web applications. In this role you will use this experience to design and build features, pay down technical debt, and ensure we have a healthy system architecture built for the future. You will also give back by helping our less-experienced engineers develop in their roles.
You get to use exciting modern technologies at FreeAgent.
It doesn't matter if you don't have direct experience – we have a trusted onboarding programme that will bring you up to speed. We heavily rely on the following:
- Ruby and Ruby on Rails for most of our application code
- RSpec for writing tests
- AWS for all of our infrastructure
- Docker for containerisation
- Lambda for running serverless services
- Terraform for writing infrastructure as code
You can see the full list on StackShare.
Your typical week will include:
- Designing and developing new features, and shipping them to production via our best-in-class continuous delivery platform (we deploy dozens of times a day!)
- Working collaboratively with engineers, product managers and product designers in order to plan sprints, as well as help to estimate upcoming projects
- Reviewing pull requests and helping colleagues troubleshoot their code
- Using your experience to solve real-world problems, from performance optimisations to helping to resolve production incidents
- Authoring and responding to 'request for discussion' documents which we use to collaboratively make high-impact technical decisions across engineering teams
We don't publish a strict requirements list because we understand that everyone is different, and diversity brings new ideas, new ways of thinking and a richer culture. There are certainly attributes which we really value, such as:
- Strong attention to detail. If a job worth doing, we believe it's worth doing right
- Learning mindset. If you are committed to self-improvement, we can provide opportunities galore
- Strong communication skills. We believe being able to write and articulate your thoughts are great skills to have in any business
- A keen interest in programming with Ruby and Ruby on Rails (we can help you learn and get up to speed!)