Vail Systems is seeking a Database Administrator familiar with managing opensource relational and document-oriented databases and code that interacts with them. As a Postgres/MySQL/MongoDB Database Administrator, you will be expected to resolve any inefficient queries that appear in the logs and initiate updates to the latest database version. You would also be responsible for performing data transfers between Postgres/MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, and MongoDB databases. This is a team-oriented role where you will collaborate with other highly technical engineering staff to accomplish project tasks.
The ideal candidate will have a strong computer science background to successfully run ad hoc queries that follow a specific set of requirements as requested by software developers. The candidate will have knowledge of data structures, networking, algorithms, programming, parallelization, systems architecture, MongoDB aggregation pipeline, MongoDB replica set configuration, and document-based storage. Additionally, the candidate will be a problem-solver, communicative, and detail-oriented.
What you’ll do:
- Manage and administer Postgres, MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server and MongoDB databases.
- Build processes to enable self-service database provisioning for broad engineering use (i.e. databases as a push-button service).
- Maintain the physical data model, queries, and service interface for the loading, querying, and maintenance of data in Postgres database and other data sources.
- Provide expertise and tooling to engineers for common database functions.
- Complete version upgrades, patching, migrations, seeding, testing, and performance monitoring.
- Identify slow running queries by checking logs and initiate appropriate resolutions to improve performance of all search query issues.
- Optimize performance, security and availability of MongoDB clusters.
- Design indexing strategies.
- Archive telephony call data that is set out by predetermined parameters and schedules.
- Search for queries that are marked by collection or index scans and compact collections.
- Create and execute backup design and disaster recovery plans.
- Work with project and technical managers for project planning, predict storage growth, perform database version upgrade and storage expansion.
- Define, develop, document, communicate and implement standards, processes and procedures for the Database Administration Team.
- Export data out to be loaded into our data warehouse. Improve ETL processes that interact with Microsoft SQL Servers. Write scripts and schedule jobs.
- Configure, monitor, and deploy MongoDB replica sets.
- Conduct replica set health check proactively, monitor database load and performance, search for queries that are marked by collection or index scans and compact collections.
- Design and identify patterns in MongoDB document schemas.
- Participate in a 24/7 on-call support rotation.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Data Science, or another related field.
- 2+ years of experience as a Database Administrator.
- Proficiency administering PostgreSQL or MySQL databases.
- Strong understanding of SQL tuning and optimization of query plans.
- Linux shell scripting skills and experience with production Linux environments.
- Experience working with software engineers in a highly technical environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with Jira.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel.
- Experience with MongoDB replica set configuration and management.