About the role
We're looking for a talented and enthusiastic Software Engineer to join our Digital Engineering team, bringing with you a broad range of experiences and a passion for modern development technologies and practices. Building great products that delight our customers and transform the way they engage with us is why we're here, but we're also building a world-class capability to build and ship high quality products, leading the way across Vodafone to transform the way we deliver our solutions - and it's here where this role is so important to us. Our digital channels are used by millions of our customers and we have big plans for the future!
Our Platform is at the heart of this, to allow our digital channels to quickly develop new and improved applications based on secure, reliable and scalable services, based on a cloud-based micro-services architecture.
In this role you’ll be reporting to a Chapter Lead who is responsible for your career development, but you'll also be part of a development squad, charged with developing, testing and deploying new features and capability within our platform. Working within a Scrum squad, you'll refine, plan and implement user stories ensuring the quality and integrity of the platform through appropriate technology, standards and best practice. You'll strive to continuously learn, develop and improve the services and your own skills.
You'll be responsible for:
- Hands on development of micro-services as part of a development squad.
- Working in a Scrum/Kanban approach within a SAFe environment.
- Driving the quality and performance of owned micro-services, through the use of standards and best practices.
- Contributing to a culture of continuous improvement through learning.
- Ensuring quality is at the heart of everything you and your team does.
To be successful you're going to need...
- Experience in designing and developing RESTful APIs within a micro-services architecture.
- Extensive commercial experience of Java (JEE) and Java Servlets.
- Practical knowledge of working in Scrum or other agile practices.
- Ability to support and coach junior developers.
- An ability to challenge others in doing what’s right for the business.
- A passion for finding solutions to problems that haven’t been solved before.
Things we'd rate you even higher for:
- Testing your code through the use of TDD/BDD and associated tools
- Certifications in Scrum, SAFe or other scaled agile frameworks
- Experience in AWS services
- Use of Docker or other container management.