Full Stack Technical LeadAt SSENSE
SSENSE (pronounced [es-uhns]) is a global technology platform operating at the intersection of culture, community, and commerce. Headquartered in Montreal, it features a mix of established and emerging luxury brands across womenswear, menswear, kidswear, and Everything Else.
SSENSE has garnered critical acclaim as both an e-commerce engine and a producer of cultural content, generating an average of 100 million monthly page views. Approximately 80% of its audience is between the ages of 18 to 40. It is privately held and has achieved high double digit annual growth and profitability since its inception.
*This is a remote position within Canada
Reporting to the Application Development Manager, the Technical Lead guides a team of Software Developers dedicated to developing applications from initial inception of ideas to roll-out, ensuring they meet quality targets and are delivered on time. The Technical Lead will provide technical expertise and act as a technical liaison consulting with upstream and downstream stakeholders on priorities and requirements. The ideal candidate will be involved in building a platform that is currently used by millions of end users around the world.
- Lead and inspire a team of world class Software Developers
- Provide technical leadership to teammates through coaching and mentorship on a regular basis
- Collaborate with team members to develop high-volume low-latency applications while delivering high-availability and performance
- Build, optimize, and scale the SOA platform and infrastructure
- Evangelize best software development practices (OOD, TDD, Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery)
- Perform code reviews and design reviews to ensure compliance with development standards
- Collaborate with engineers across the organization to identify patterns of problems and implement solutions that can be shared across clients
- Draft and review architectural diagrams, interface specifications, class structures, and other design documents
- Maintain high standards of software quality within the team by establishing best practices and habits
- Partner with the Human Resources team to attract and retain high quality and diverse talent to scale the Company’s development team(s)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field, Master’s degree an asset
- A minimum of 8 years experience in software and Web development
- A minimum of 3 years professional front-end and back-end development experience
- A minimum of 3 years leading, coaching and training a team of software developers
- Experience with SQL, relational databases, multi-tiered software development, and Web-based software development is a must
- Advanced understanding of design, implementation and operation of distributed Web-based services and APIs
- Experience designing and consuming REST APIs
- Strong knowledge and experience in design patterns (such as SOLID Principals) and architecture
Expertise in a microservices architecture
- Experience testing code using one of the following: Mocha, Karma, Chai and Sinon, Jasmine
- Experience with implementing software in a variety of operating environments (UNIX, Linux and Windows)
- Experience with AWS, Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with PHP, an asset
- Experience with Shell Scripting Python/Bash, an asset
- Strong experience in training and coaching more junior developers
- Strong leadership, time management, and problem solving skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to work under strict deadlines
- Team player with solid interpersonal skills
- Strong ability to present, synthesize and influence change
- Good business acumen
- Bilingual (spoken and written French and English)
WORLD CLASS TECHNOLOGY
Technology is at the core of everything we do at SSENSE. Driven by an engineering mindset and a problem-solving attitude, we blend fashion with technology to deliver an unparalleled experience to our customers as we build seamless, custom solutions to deliver the SSENSE offering.
WORLD CLASS TEAM
The SSENSE tech team is responsible for an international headless commerce platform. Working in an agile environment, our squads are made up of experienced innovators in Product Management, QA, Design, DevOps, Software Development, Machine Learning, Data Engineering, and Security. Headquartered in Montreal, our technology organization has been growing at a rate of 2X year-over-year and is doubling once again in 2021 as we expand across Canada, US, and Europe.
WORLD CLASS PLATFORM
The SSENSE platform runs on Amazon Web Services making use of serverless microservices across web, mobile and app. Our event-source architecture already achieves over 10,000 requests / second and growing at an unmatched pace, currently unseen across the industry. Our data-driven culture of innovation empowers every product team across the tech organization to explore building, testing and learning with the latest in Machine Learning techniques. Our automated continuous improvement DevOps model (making use of both blue / green and canary deployments) results in an average of 50 production releases every day.
Read more about us on our SSENSE Tech Blog.