Director, Design & PartnershipsAt Teaching Lab
Apply for the Job
[Two open roles]: Director, Design & Partnerships for a 40+ employee (and growing) remote education non-profit providing professional learning to K-12 educators nationally
Type of Vacancy: Salaried, full-time
Start date: December 2021
Location: Remote/home office anywhere in the United States
Report to: Senior Director, Design & Partnerships
Supervises: 3-5 Partnership Managers
Compensation: Salary starts at $100,000, with comprehensive benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Teaching Lab is an equal-opportunity employer committed to reflecting the diversity of the students we serve. We pursue equity as both a means and an end and enthusiastically welcome candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this role.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Director, Design & Partnerships leads a $1M+ portfolio of innovative, research-based professional learning engagements with diverse districts and state education systems across the country that are implementing or looking to implement high-quality instructional materials (HQIM) in ELA and math. As a rapidly growing nonprofit, we seek driven and proactive individuals who have a high level of personal accountability, team players who see the interconnectedness between their role and the organization’s mission, and have the ability to “manage up” when needed to get complex work done. Eligible candidates for the role of Director, Design & Partnerships must have experience in effective relationship and client management, people management, knowledge of the Common Core or similar College- and Career-Ready state standards, and knowledge of HQIM, including: CKLA, EL Education K-8, Guidebooks ELA K-12, Eureka/EngageNY K-8, Illustrative Mathematics K-12, or Zearn K-8. Ideal candidates will also be stellar communicators, can create and manage a team to follow through on project plans, can re-envision work for themselves and their team in times of ambiguity, demonstrate stellar critical thinking and problem solving, as well as the ability to manage workflows with and without formal authority. Above all, any candidate must have a demonstrated commitment to racial and educational equity. This position has high potential for both large-scale impact and career growth.
Due to growth, we currently have openings for two Directors, Design & Partnerships.
WHO WE ARE
Teaching Lab is a nonprofit organization with a mission to fundamentally shift the paradigm of teacher professional learning to achieve educational equity. We envision a world where teachers and students thrive together in communities that enable life-long learning and meaningful lives. Using our Head, Heart, and Habits model of professional learning, we transform professional learning from the ground up to dramatically improve student outcomes. We also work with school, district, and state leaders to create the instructional systems necessary to support these changes. To learn more about Teaching Lab, explore our website at www.teachinglab.org.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Engage and build strong relationships with high-level leadership in school systems, including superintendents, chief academic officers, curriculum and instruction experts, and principals, to build their knowledge of research-based professional learning practices, Teaching Lab’s professional learning model
- Support business development with current partners by crafting scopes of work that extend partner relationships over time, leading to renewal contracts
- Collaborate with the Business Development function to advise new clients on programs which best meet their needs
- Lead and manage a team of Partnership Managers through a lens of racial equity to create and deliver high quality professional learning aligned to Teaching Lab’s Head, Heart and Habits model to either (a) Implement a high-quality ELA or math curriculum, or (2) Create a strategy to adopt and provide professional learning to teachers to implement a high-quality ELA or math curriculum
- Ensure that Partnership Managers and contractor Facilitators engage in and are supported in their onboarding, training, and ongoing development on professional learning best practices, facilitation and client engagement techniques, and Teaching Lab’s professional learning program
- Hire contractor Facilitators and support Partnership Managers to coach Facilitators through an inquiry process aimed at developing their practice, and as they provide day-to-day implementation of the work in partner sites
- Lead high-level project management across the portfolio, including staffing sitework and creating project plans
- Collaborate with other Directors, Design & Partnerships to create and innovate on staffing and project management systems and structures to increase impact, efficiency, and sustainable knowledge management
- Support impact evaluation data collection activities, and, with the Learning & Research Function, make sense of impact evaluation data to drive continuous improvement
- Lead collaboration between Content Managers and Partnership Managers to adapt and refine Teaching Lab’s existing curriculum specific professional learning content to meet the needs of partners
EDUCATION, WORK EXPERIENCE, AND KNOWLEDGE
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum seven years working experience in education
- Successful teaching experience with students from traditionally underserved backgrounds (2 years minimum) with demonstrated evidence of impact
- Knowledge of and experience with Common Core or College- and Career-Ready Math or ELA standards
- Deep understanding of Math or ELA HQIM, including their design and component parts (preferred)
- Deep knowledge of and experience facilitating professional learning focused on equitable and culturally-responsive teaching practices (preferred)
- Experience facilitating impactful professional learning for educators
- Experience building relationships with clients and stakeholders; Having these experiences in an education context is preferred
- Experience managing and developing staff
VALUES, SKILLS, AND COMPETENCIES
- Strong commitment to Teaching Lab’s organizational mission and values in pursuit of educational equity
- Demonstrate proficiencies in Teaching Lab competencies
- Reliable and consistently completes work in a timely manner with high quality
- Analytical mindset with the ability to set goals and create strategies that are informed by data and research
- Competence in working across functions and managing up as needed
- Strong commitment to growth mindset for both adults and students, and a desire to work collaboratively to grow team skills and capabilities
- Stellar communication and influence skills
- Equally comfortable playing external and internal roles, demonstrating a professional and warm demeanor in building rapport and credibility and in developing relationships with a variety of stakeholders
WORKING AT TEACHING LAB
All roles at Teaching Lab are contingent on business needs.
Teaching Lab offers a comprehensive benefits package for full-time salaried employees, including: medical, dental, and vision; a 401(k) program with a 4% employer match; short-term life, long-term life, disability, and worker’s compensation insurance; flexible health spending accounts; technology equipment; monthly technology reimbursement; and generous time off and leave policies.
This position is eligible for remote work anywhere in the continental United States, and may require some travel (monthly) when travel resumes.
Recent Job Postings
- Engineering Productivity, DevOp at Enfabrica (Mountain View, CA) (allows remote)
- The Ops Authority: Digital Marketing Lead
- Clevertech: Google Ads Manager
- Clevertech: Culture Development Specialist
- Clevertech: Communications Specialist
- Clevertech: Producer
- Sr. Data Engineer at StyleSeat () (allows remote)
- Senior Fullstack Engineer (Python/Django/React)- #12 of Top-100 Marketplaces at StyleSeat () (allows remote)
- Senior Data Scientist at StyleSeat () (allows remote)
- UX Engineer at Pinnacle 21 () (allows remote)