Lead Product DesignerAt Versett
Apply for the Job
Hi, I'm Dan Rigby, Director of Product Design at Versett. Founded in 2011, Versett is a product design and engineering studio in Calgary and Toronto. We specialize in designing and building digital products and we're looking for a Lead Product Designer to join our growing team! You'll work closely with all team members and stakeholders to shape world class solutions and experiences for our clients. You bring a rigorous focus on the details and user needs without losing sight of the big picture.
We're a team of tight-knit individuals focused on creating meaningful work collaboratively, while continuing to grow and learn as individuals. Our passion for design goes beyond daily work to create a culture of constant learning and growth. You can expect weekly meetups to talk about the latest trends, tools and topics. Be prepared to contribute and inspire others around you. As part of a smaller group, you’ll have the opportunity to influence and help grow our design practice.
As the Lead Product Designer, you will take a leading role in all stages of the product design process; from initial concept, to design and prototyping, and iterating again to ensure that everything we build is of the highest quality. You have proven visual design skills and understand the intricacies that make for an innovative user experience that solves real problems and delivers real value.
Sometimes you'll be on the front-lines, working on brand-new problems and trying to figure out what to build. Other times, you'll be deep in the details of a project, working directly with our engineers and product teams to bring the vision to life. Through collaboration, you'll inspire and mentor other designers on the team and help raise the bar on visual and user experience design.
As a champion of design and senior member of our growing team, you'll have the opportunity to make a mark. You'll work closely with myself, Dan, the Director of Product Design to grow the design practice, lead workshops and help sell the value of design, both internally and externally.
- Driving the successful delivery of our clients products through strong visual and UX design processes, foundations and principles.
- Mentoring and guiding a small team of Intermediate/Senior Designers from project requirements through to project completion.
- Leading projects by setting a vision and establishing team goals and deadlines.
- Collaborating with the engineering team and product management to identify strategic opportunities and define the products we build.
- Mentoring peers through knowledge sharing and peer enablement.
- A commitment from us to your professional development through annual learning plans, dedicated budget and team events.
What you bring to the table
- You have previous experience building and shipping high-impact digital products for consumer or commercial audiences with the portfolio to prove it.
- You love exploring the latest and greatest in design tools while keeping emerging design patterns and visual trends on your radar.
- You know how to develop, maintain, guide, and push the boundaries of design systems and patterns.
- You possess strong strategic thinking and an understanding of the project lifecycle, necessary timelines and business challenges.
- You can clearly communicate concepts and design rationale through sketches, wireframes, high fidelity comps, prototypes and presentations both internally and externally to clients.
- You are a strong conceptual thinker with a demonstrated ability to understand customer needs, motivations and behaviours, and know how to translate this understanding along with research into the project design.
- You’ve worked as part of a cross disciplinary team to lead early conversations with potential clients, refining abstract concepts into designs and outputs for our team to build.
- You have led supporting designers and can proactively drive the design process on projects. You’re embedded in the design community, and have a desire to continue to give back to its continued growth.
- You're a hands-on team player.
The behaviours we value at Versett
- You’re naturally curious, self-motivated, and always looking to learn more.
- You are supportive of others and enjoying sharing knowledge.
- You have a collaborative mindset and have empathy for your users, clients, project team and co-workers.
Interviewing at Versett
This process will be led by our recruitment firm, Bloom.
1. Phone screen with Jade or Liz, Talent Advisor from Bloom.
2. Remote 45-min Portfolio Review interview with Dan Rigby (Director of Product Design) and Amanda Pape (Product Designer).
3. Remote 30-min interview with Vinciane de Pape (Head of Learning + Culture) and Jon Buccella (VP Services)
4. Remote 30-min interview with Dan Rigby (Director of Product Design) and Graham McFie (Product Designer)
5. Conduct references
Following the advice of Canadian health authorities, to mitigate the risk of potential spread of COVID-19 and support social distancing, all recruiting activities including interviews and new hire on-boarding will be conducted virtually.
Perks at Versett
Competitive salary and benefits (including group benefits and paid parental leave).
Friday socials and Show 'n Tells.
Team events and retreats.
Learning & development budget.
The hardware/software setup you need.
Flexible vacation policy.
Diverse team and a commitment to inclusion.
Inclusion at Versett
Versett is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives to apply. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out!